"Best" Looking Unit, Steam

Y'all all wrong!

PS4-2.jpg

I got good taste!:D:p

While I agree that the Southern PS -4 IS pretty,the L&N 4-8-2 Ls-1 's,come in a close second. The Seaboard 2-10-2,comes in third.:D .William.

jbaakko said:
I'm gonna say the AT&SF 2-10-4's
I've never liked the "going up hill" look that the large pilot wheel and the tiny trailing truck wheels give the unit. Plus the fire box on that unit has allways seemed bulgy to me.

JeffShultz said:
my personal favorite is the Z-8 series Challengers run by SP&S and Northern Pacific.
I like the Z-6s better, but I would not put them (or any articulated locomotive for that matter) in to the "Best Looking" category.

I'm still thinking about it, but I am guessing I will eventually choose a Hudson or Northern class for best looking.....

GandyDancer said:
I like the Z-6s better, but I would not put them (or any articulated locomotive for that matter) in to the "Best Looking" category.

I'm still thinking about it, but I am guessing I will eventually choose a Hudson or Northern class for best looking.....

I'm a utilitarian type - if my dad wins the lottery, he goes out and buys whatever Carrol Shelby is currently producing. If I win the lottery, it's a Dodge Ram 2500 (with every option added, admittedly...)

GandyDancer said:
I've never liked the "going up hill" look that the large pilot wheel and the tiny trailing truck wheels give the unit. Plus the fire box on that unit has allways seemed bulgy to me.
I just like the bulky size of the beasts...

JeffShultz said:
I'm a utilitarian type - if my dad wins the lottery, he goes out and buys whatever Carrol Shelby is currently producing. If I win the lottery, it's a Dodge Ram 2500 (with every option added, admittedly...)
Now on that note, I'd buy something a tad, more, hummm how do you say it, Idiotic?
The Ducati Desmosedici RR, a good use of $50k-$60K...

Best looking Steamer?

Sorry Carey,

I do like the PS-4, but it has to be the MT series 4-8-2's. And you thought I's say GS-4...

And I finally got this one running like a watch.

Best looking Steamer?

Nope, that's the Sunset Model. The one I bent the axle on while trying to regear it:mad:! I found a replacement up here at Trainfest tweaked a few other things, and now it just needs a littleweight in the tender to be perfect.

Bent the axle? That's gotta hurt. Thats also one reason I never really liked sunset. They were built more for the collector to keep on the shelf, and not the runner to actually use. I've painted more Sunsets that were underpowered, and under weighted than any other.

Best looking Steamer?

Yes, their axle material is softer than the NWSL stock. I have several old KTM gearboxes, and NWSL axle stock. I was trying not to remove both drivers. I should have known better. No other problems with it though, or the GS-1 or your old 0-6-0 which I have since equipped with a sausage tender. :). The mainstay of the roster is still KTM though. They wear like iron!

jbaakko said:
I just like the bulky size of the beasts...
Yeah, me too, but that isn't the question that was asked. If the question was what locomotive do I "like" best, .... My answer would be completely different than "best looking".

Back