"Best" looking Locomotive, Diesel...

well i think the F7s a+b units are the best for me even if it is and old athern with a life like mec under neath it:D

In my TOTALLY personal opinion, The absolute BEST looking locomotives were..........The ROCK ISLAND GP38-2's, When they were brand new and shiny!!!!!!

THE ROCK GP38-2's were locomotives that I only got to see in pictures and on the screen, I started railfanning two years AFTER the ROCK folded, So, I never got to see a REAL one!!!! Thank God for H.O. scale!!!!!

Best looking loco

My above post still stands, but realistically, the best looking locos in my opinion (as loco's, not paint scheme), are these.

1. For switchers, I LOVE Alco S2, best looking switcher ever.
2. For GP loco's, I love the GP40X (with the HTB trucks), They were just awesome looking.
3. For 6 axle loco, Gotta go with the SD40-2 on this one, Its the best, and was EMD's most popular loco.

Those are my real choices, But I still defend my ROCK GP38-2's!!!!!!!!!

Well first you say "best looking locomotive" but then you say "diesel"... Make up your mind, do you want good looking or do you want diesel? :)

If you insist on diesel, I'd have to say PA-1, E units and F units...

As for the stuff running today... they all look the same don't they? ;)

The F59's do have a good look I guess, and I actually do like the most new freight locos, they have a no-nonsense look about them that works well.

"Best looking" is as much a matter of opinion as "my favorite", so on that note... my favorite best looking diesel is, by far, the EMD E6 in Southern paint.

sou2800a.jpg

Ain't she purty!

My favorite "diesel" is the German V 200. May be the shape is a little bit strange but .. It was built during the 50 ies and 60 ies for main passenger and heavy freight trains for ( for West Europe..) long distances.

v2007ea.jpg

Picture from: www.traintesting.com

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it's no contest. F and E units, both the bulldog and the slant nose. Not only did it have great lines, it also got the best paint schemes a railroad had to offer!

GE Dash 9

For me I like the GE Dash 9 Locomotive's looks. Just a nice looking engine.

Hey gang,

What about the 'fallen flag' FP45 series? I love the full-cowling, nice body lines and hefty look of those long-gone series.

The blue box Athearn models are still some of my favorite engines--they even sound so...well, grizzly!

But other firms have yet to do F45/FP45 (the P was a passenger model, but I don't think it ran nearly as long as the freight). I wish Kato HO would do a FP series....much needed!

Uh oh, I know I might get flak on this one...but I do love the diesel hydraulic experiments of the Southern Pacific. Krauss-Mauffei of Germany built several bulldog-like road hogs but with a 'Genesis' one-piece design. I forget offhand the class, but these really stand out among the plethora of designs. Odd, yes...but definately 'originals'.

WOW! V200 is top Euro diesel-lok

My favorite "diesel" is the German V 200. May be the shape is a little bit strange but .. It was built during the 50 ies and 60 ies for main passenger and heavy freight trains for ( for West Europe..) long distances.

v2007ea.jpg

Picture from: www.traintesting.com

Jos

WOW! I love that Deustche 'Wessie' bull-dog diesel! But I sure was surprised to find it popping up in this Yankie forum! I model in G scale as well as HO and I am waiting to hear if LGB will be able to bring one out soon...

Hi Thomas,

It is almost a yankie forum..ha ha :p
That's why I wrote:" May be the shape is a little bit strange"
Oehffff I am glad you like it/him(?) too!:)

Jos

Uh oh, I know I might get flak on this one...but I do love the diesel hydraulic experiments of the Southern Pacific. Krauss-Mauffei of Germany built several bulldog-like road hogs but with a 'Genesis' one-piece design. I forget offhand the class, but these really stand out among the plethora of designs. Odd, yes...but definately 'originals'.
Those are some interesting units.
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel115.html

By the Way Athearn has a Genesis F45/FP45 coming...

Back