"Best" looking Locomotive, Diesel...

jbaakko said:
GandyDancer Thanks for that GREAT image of UP 949. I plan to model them sometime this fall/winter.
And the photo doesn't really do them justice. In real life they were just amazing. I couldn't resist touching it..... The security guard gave me a dirty look, but then I think he recognized me. I probably wouldn't have gotten away with it if there had been more "public" around, because then they would have thought they could touch too.

BTW. If you have broad band, I can send you the full size pictures of both locomotives in e-mail. The one I posted is a 25% web-whacked version.

Best looking is definitly the GP38-2. So beautiful, especially in IANR paint
ianr122uk.jpg

Hawkeye251 said:
EMD must have fired everyone with aesthetic taste though when they designed the ACe's...

EMD fired those people when they ceased making E and F-units

Guess you can tell where I stand with relation to "best" looking :)

Tough question..I suppose for me its a tie between the GP9 and the GP38/38-2.:D There is a special place in my heart for the RS-1..:D

dingoix said:
Best looking is definitly the GP38-2.
It is a good looking GP, except to me that funny out-of-nowhere square box on the roof between the front grill and the dynamic brake blister ruin its profile. Did they make a high hood version? I would guess the NW would have ordered a few.

CSX_road_slug said:
The SD38-2: Elegant body lines of an SD40-2, yet normally aspirated:cool:

I'll second that! My favorite product from EMD. There is nothing quite like seeing and hearing 4 of these in notch 8 with an ore train..
878Heckman.jpg

Cheers,
-Bob

All time favorite has to be any EMD F-Unit. But of the locos that are still in common service, I'm lovin' the high-nose GP7/9/18's, especially with the db blister. And I have to say this (This'll probably irk some of you!), I really think the FA's/PA's are hideous! I just find them so awkward looking, like some sort of mutated ugly kid sister of the EMD units. Sorry, had to say it! LOL

efa7826b16.jpg

SuperbirdVHble said:
I'll second that! My favorite product from EMD. There is nothing quite like seeing and hearing 4 of these in notch 8 with an ore train..
878Heckman.jpg

Cheers,
-Bob
Yeah there is 4 GP38-2s in notch 8 LOL they sound exactly the same. Non-turboed 645 engines.

Well, of the older units I have to say there's nothing like an ATSF Warbonneted Passenger F unit! I was in awe when I saw the A and B units they have at the Museum in Sacramento. I remember these when I was a kid. They were simply THE quintessential diesel loco in my mind.

Of the modern diesels, I really like the GP-60M. Of course, in Santa Fe Warbonnet paint! I just think its perty.

Here are my favourite's in order:

CP F-unit in Maroon and grey
CN F3 in the Gold and green
CP SD40/40-2
ESPEE SD40T-2 in Speed lettering

CN6060

A truely "best looking" locomotive, would transend the paint scheme it carries. So if one must specifiy the paint scheme, I say it no longer can be a candidate for "best looking".

And once again the question is not 'your favorite' it is "best looking". It is amazing how quickly these sorts of poles degenerate. Sort of like the game where everyone gets in a circle and start a story on one side. Then it is a completely different story by the time it gets back to the start.

My bad! I quickly read the title and until you mentioned it didn't realise my mistake. So in that case, I think the locomotive's I've mentioned above are the best looking in those scheme's.

CN6060

GandyDancer said:
A truely "best looking" locomotive, would transend the paint scheme it carries. So if one must specifiy the paint scheme, I say it no longer can be a candidate for "best looking".

And once again the question is not 'your favorite' it is "best looking". It is amazing how quickly these sorts of poles degenerate. Sort of like the game where everyone gets in a circle and start a story on one side. Then it is a completely different story by the time it gets back to the start.

Can't agree with any of that... It seems like "best looking" should be open to individual interpretation, IMHO. :)

Back