Best Hobby Shops on the Web

Ordered from wholesaletrains.com?

I haven't heard any testimonials for www.wholesaletrains.com. I have compared prices on several items and they consistently come in the cheapest.

Has anyone ordered from them?

Also, does anyone have a favourite Canadian online store?

Ive had good experiences with Wholesaletrains.com. Their shipping is expensive though. Ive bought some Atlas Gold and MTH HO locos from them, and I am sure they insure it, its tracked, etc, but it usu comes to around $17. Not cheap, but usually even after that, it was still cheaper than the other guy. Good service. Becky is always helpful with a phone call or email.

They have attractive prices, but like the other guy said, theyre not always the best on price. Make sure you shop around. They do have some gems in their inventory though.

Brad

HI
wholesaletrains.com is a great company to deal with. Wat ever their "usually ships" day count is accurate.{right now all set to 12/27/10 due to the holiday-this is Xmas eve as I write this}.

I have seen their prices be 25%-40% below other etailer's prices, and way cheaper than MSRP.

If teh availabilty says "next day" they have it in hand in their hobby store on teh shelves and can even ship out same day.
If they say "1-3 business days" or "3-5 business days' they will ship out then, usually 98% accurate on their ship date.
I have actually ordered from them in the early AM and had it on my doorstep in the late PM! Or even next day.

Their prices are great, though as someone said not ALways the lowest, but usually are. Their shipping and handling can be higher than some places,and they only ship via UPS or FEdEx.But i've also paid $8-9 dollars shipping from a different place that sent it USPS and the stamp cost them $1.78!!! SO same same. wholesaletrains.com does have to pay someone to do the "handling" and they pass on to the consumer,which all businesses do and which they could also do in higher prices. I know from a friend who has a small business {non trains} that the UPS base rate for 1# is about $4.75 these days, to give you some idea.

wholesaletrains.com also has Lantz's hobby shop as their brick and mortar store in Horseheads, NY, near ELmira/Corning, NY.

Of course I live 45 mins hiway drive away,consider it sorta a LHS to me, and can go there and complain in person if something isn't right. They only thing I've had to complain about was once they sold me a loco that didn't work right out of box. I compliained and they wanted to charge me a 15% restock fee, I said it doesn't work it's defective! so they waved the restock fee, happend to have another one on the shelves, and swapped me out. For free.

If I see an "next day item" I can call and they will hold at front desk for me.
To me, paying hte shipping or paying the gas to drive there is same same with gas here at $3.25.
Of course the onlyest darndest thing is: If I go to that bloody store for a $3 pack of track, I come out $50-100-150 poorer! Dang it all! { The cheapest I ever got out of the store is $8.99- they had a box car I wanted, and we only went "to see what they've got" one day bored out of skulls- not expecting to buy anything of course, and STILL I spent money!}.

My experience with them has always be VERY positive and pleasant, in store, online, orders and delivery, and timelyness based upon their available ship date.
________
Wholesale Vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help bigB and galaxy. I think I will order my track and some structures from them. I emailed them today regarding a minimum order and they said there are no restrictions except if you spend $60 or less there is a $6 handling fee and all orders are subject to a minimum $9.95 fee for shipping. So I suppose they aren't worth it if you are ordering small quantities.

They also have a buyer's club that offers additional savings. You are eligible to join after spending $200.

They also have a buyer's club that offers additional savings. You are eligible to join after spending $200.

For a limited time, you can join for free. There should be a link on the Buyer's Club page with instructions.

I've joined it, but I have yet to see a railroad item with a member's discount.

For a limited time, you can join for free. There should be a link on the Buyer's Club page with instructions.

I've joined it, but I have yet to see a railroad item with a member's discount.
Like diburning, I joined years ago, and have yet to see an item with a member's discount. SO much so that I forgot about it. Next time I am in the store I will ask about it {if I don't get all glassy eyed and drool over all the products and forget!}
________
Rehab forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever ordered from http://www.eurorailhobbies.com or know anything good or bad about them? Seems there are from Canada but even with shipping may have some good deals.

Dave

I've been to their store two times a couple of years ago. It's in the middle of nowhere off a country road. Good prices (for Canada) and I have bought scenery from them. The lady is quite personable, but not so her husband. Deal with her.
Cheers.

I have ordered from trainz.com. They said they had eight items I wanted, charged me for all eight, and I received four. It took a week of emails and calls to get a refund. First they said the other four items were coming from a different warehouse, then they said they did not have them. Look at their feedback on ebay. They have a reputation for silling things they don't have.

Trianz is on my never buy from list.

Kent in KC

Eric,
Why is a bad thing if they advertise in MRH? I find the stuff I read there is not bad and helpful at times. Have you found a problem with MRH like they don't pay the contributors or something like that. I'm interested in hearing if there is something bad about MRH e-zine.

As far as trainz.com I'll remember to keep away from them.
Thanks,
Dave

The thing is that when you see the nice ads in MRH, you might go to their site and check it out (or even if you accidentally click). It's easy to forget which sites are "bad" when you're reading the magazine!

Its probably more of a false sense of security thing. Thinking, these guys advertise in MRH, that must mean they have to be good to deal with.

I'm going to put in a plug for my own place.
Not functional yet but having been a forum member for awhile you know who your dealing with as I'm a long time modeler like many of you.

It appears that FHS Foothill Station Model RR Supplies & Trains is about to resume with a new distributor

After a little checking I should have a web site set up so that the various products I have available can be viewed and purchased. I'll provide a link where all the forum members can easy access the site.

I'll use one of the payment methods for secured transactions. So keep a lookout for my FHS supply site.

This distributor handles the majority of items and I'll see if I can't add others to add to their already fairly complete selection.

I'll also attempt maintain very competitive pricing and offer specials as they become available.

David Smith - FHS, Model RR Supplies & Trains

Keep a watch for my listing.

Trainz

I pre-ordered a MTH SD70ace from them . It was weeks and weeks after the SD70aces were released and everybody was offering them ,the local hobby stores, FIRST HOBBY and eBay . Well to make a long story longer I called to inquire as to when my order would be shipped . They said in three weeks . But I had paid through paypal and was very unhappy about the delay. I ask for a refund and they shipped the NEXT day. Some of the internet hobby stores DO NOT have a brick and mortor store or any inventory . They act as a middle man ( like a LOCAL hobby store ) except you pay before you receive your item . They purchase from the DISTRIBITOR ( HORIZON , WALTHERS , ATHEARN ) subtract their profit and ship to you. Their whole operation is FUNDED by the customer.
I try to stay away from businesses that operate like this .

Horizon = Athearn.

I thought distributors had a policy for shipping to brick and mortar stores only?

I mean if they would sell wholesale to anyone, I'd fill up my basement.

Back