Best building bargain

Bread&steel

They call this a synagogue but it's just a building. It's absolutely beautiful and BIG and it's on sale at walthers for only $14.98 ! It's from Heljan and it's the kind of building that will fit any modeling era. You, of course, can call it anything you like. Mine is going to be a Catholic orphanage for girls. I'll post pictures as I get it built. :D

They call this a synagogue but it's just a building. It's absolutely beautiful and BIG and it's on sale at walthers for only $14.98 ! It's from Heljan and it's the kind of building that will fit any modeling era. You, of course, can call it anything you like. Mine is going to be a Catholic orphanage for girls. I'll post pictures as I get it built. :D

Uh oh, there goes the neighborhood LOL
But seriously, that is a good price on that structure. Walthers is running some great deals this month.
6 pack HO bethgon coalporters for $39.98
6 pack Trinity RD-4 $39.98
20 & 40' containers for $2.98-3.98
Mijack Translift crane for $16.98
just to name a few.

A closer look

Well this is a pleasure to build. All windows are pressure fit so no glue is needed therefore no accidents on the clear glazing. You may want to put a spot of glue here and there. The wall sections snap together but I've sanded and glued them for a perfect fit. In the picture, I've set a few wall sections together, loosely, just for photography. I'm not finishing the walls until I install my electronics.

All the concrete wall sections are seperate from the brick sections. There are 14 wall sections, and if you count the layered sections, it's 5 more.

This building has 82 separate window panes, 3 roof sections, 2 base plates, WHAT A BARGAIN

Anyone who has or will be ordering this building, I have some tips for you.

Window glazing:

At first it may look like they will go on either way, but there is a right way and a wrong way. The holes in the glazing are slightly off center on most of the window glass panels. Orient these panels to see which way covers the window frame evenly. This is important as you will see later. Also some panels have a notch cut out of one corner. Make sure of there proper orientation.

Assembling the wall sections to the base:

Do the front and two peaked side sections first and then install the narrow peaked roof. By doing it this way you will be able to get underneath to glue the roof in place. I used rubber bands to hold the roof in place until the glue set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ken, I'll have to do that. I'm working on my lighting right now. Lots of light boxes to make and timers to build. After I get some installed I'll post a few pictures

Larry

Help Fire !

OMG...they say this building is in NYC and this is an exact model. How did it ever pass fire safety inspection ! :confused: How did it ever get an occupancy certificate ? There's a front entrance and a side entrance....that's all !!!! :eek: And the side entrance is near the front ! GOOD GRIEF ! I must add a fire escape and a back door. YES ! pictures on the way

Larry

I've looked at this building with much lust but I already have all my structures in place. Might still be worth $15 just for the parts bin. I've seen one built and it's very impressive. You could use it for a city hall, hospital, school...any number of uses. Of course, I guess there's always the issue of everyone inside burning up without a fire escape. :)

Back