Beginner needs help

Nacho

Hoping someone can help. Im starting my first n scale layout, a simple oval with one turnout using Kato unitrack. Everything ran great until I decided to open up the turnout to see if I can remove the wiring because I will just be using the manual throw. I saw that it was soldered so just put it back together. The mainline still runs fine but now when I throw the turnout half the oval loses power. Sorry for the beginner question, any suggestions?

Nacho -

Apologies in advance if my info is not correct.

I don't know too much about Unitrack turnouts, but I wonder if you may have removed one of the screws highlighted below and mistakenly moved it to the wrong position? From your description, you probably want both of the screws in the Power Routing position.

Now ... I hope someone who better understands Unitrack will respond with a more knowledgeable answer.

- Jeff

Unitrack_power_routing_screws.png

Attachments

• Unitrack_power_routing_screws.png
    Unitrack_power_routing_screws.png
    506.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I'm in HO (not N).

I found that the Kato manual turnouts can be disassembled and re-assembled without too much trouble.

But the #4 powered turnouts are constructed in such a manner that trying to take the bottom panel off all-but destroys the internal mechanism and wiring. That one went into the trash.

Then again, the answer may be as jdetray describes above -- you accidentally relocated one of the "power routing" screws.

Back