beginer ho layout

mikerm125

hi, I have recently wanted to start a ho layout. Right know I have a o scale layout. But o scale is to big for my 4x8 foot train table. I was wondering what type of track to buy and all the other things like engines cars and scenery. I was thinking of modeling the mississippi river. With grain elavators and other cars that you would find in iowa. It will be a an all freight layout because of where i live there is no passenger trains. I would like to have a freight yard and several spurs. Also would my o scale transformer work or not. any help would be appreciated. If any boy has a guide please post it. thanks mike

Hello Mike, we have some great members down your end of the world, i'm in the UK, my preferance for track is PECO, they do flexi track, turnouts, crossings and a load of other stuff. i am also useing Atlas track in some sections but i'm limiting the minimum radius to 22", if your running short freight trains you can get away with 18" radius curves but don't try to run big six axle diesels or big steamers as they may de rail on tight curves. The transformer will work OK. I would stick with four axle diesels (or short wheebase steamers) and 40 to 50ft cars,

My last layout was pretty cool. It was a 4x8 with a section cut from a side like 3x1 and added to the bottom edge forming an L like shape...I got it from a layout book for a small room and since the door of my room was on a wall side, I scanned it in my computer and reversed the print to fit the room....It wasn't a continous run layout ..It was all factorys and switching...and I had a barge on one end and thats how I was able to add different trains and bring on/take off full and empty loads...Another great layout from the book had a continous run layout with a wall divider corner to corner making like 2 towns...that abled you to pick-up and deliver cars from one area to the other and also just let trains run...
As for track. Thats up to you...flex is great...it lets you to be more "flexible"..but all ballast work (if you plan on doing that) has to be done also. I recommend Code 83 flex just because its more proto-like, but code 100 trucks will have trouble on switches.

I was wondering if anybody had any pics of there ho layout on a 4x8 board. I need some more ideas for track and stuff. I think i will go code 100 track for my layout is that a good choice. also what brand of cars and engines do you prefer. thanks mike

I have older Athearn engines and stock, i also have Proto 2000 engines which are excellent, Broadway limited imports engines are great but expensive, Bachmann do some nice engines and there silver series cars are nice and cheap to buy, they have metal wheels which are better than plastic wheel's

I was wondering if anybody had any pics of there ho layout on a 4x8 board. I need some more ideas for track and stuff. I think i will go code 100 track for my layout is that a good choice. also what brand of cars and engines do you prefer. thanks mike

Code 100 is fine...and alot easier to obtain at stores... I located a site with several track plans that might intrest you. And there are alot on here. check out some of these at,
http://www.thortrains.net/4holayx.html

Its easy to incorperate photos you like on here into most layouts...Just decide what type of operation you prefer (what you want to do)..Run trains,switching,delivering,industies,ect. You want to have a place once you pick up loads for them to be taken to. Like logs to a sawmill,then lumber from the sawmill to lumber yards,furniture factories,or other industies using wood..Try to have a theme to your layout even if its on a 4x8,you will have more fun than watching trains loop and loop. Most of all have fun! (Because every layout you build is a learning experiance for the next one!)

I have a 4x8 that was originally built as On30. With the release of the new HO Roundhouse oldtime 4-4-0 it is being "standard gauged" into HO. We will be depicting standard gauge railroading in 1905.

overall_1105a.jpg

overall_1105.jpg

The unfinished urban side has new sidings being added to take advantage of the smaller scale and increased traffic afforded by standard gauge. I am preparing a web article about the new trackplan and traffic pattern

The center divider greatly improves the scenic realism by dividing the layout into two scenes, in my case rural and urban. Vist the layout at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Layout pics

Mikerm, Here's some photos of my 4x8 I added a another 15 inches because I had room for it. The basic layout is from the Atlas Book and it is called the Trunk line which allows for several sidings and two loops around. I added additional track for my needs

Back