Beat the high cost of On30

hminky

I wanted to model the 1870's in On30. MMI is bringing out a 1870's 4-4-0, but $400 dollars, HOLY MOLY!!!!!. The Bachmann Mogul looks silly with a ballon stack when you see it in person, it is an 1880's state of the art loco, not 1870's.

Going back to my original roots and my rubber gauging lifestyle, I found the alternative, Sn3.5.

obj13geo13pg1p33.jpg

Sn3.5 allows realistic models to be built from HO mechanisms. You can only build caricatures or industrial tramways in On30 using HO mechanisms. Mantua Oldtime 1860's are a $7 dollar street value narrow gauge box car. 3-1/2 foot gauge was the original common carrier narrow gauge instituted in Norway and India in the 1860's.

Besides S scale is the one true scale, seriously, it is the best size for layout building, bar none.

Fight the high price of narrow gauge and visit my Sn3.5 page at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/s_scale/

Thank you if you visit

Harold

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry, I think you chance scales more then my wife changes clothes!

Looking good, can't wait to see more!

Harry, I think you chance scales more then my wife changes clothes!

Looking good, can't wait to see more!

Those of us who rubber gauge are looking for something off the beaten track. It would be nice if I just wanted a NS GP-38-2 in HO gauge, but then no one offers modern cars that are realistic in paint scheme or detail.

The only reason I was in On30 is they offered Ready to Run rolling stock. The prospect of assembling a zillion box car kits or scratchbuilding them is depressing.

I tried Sn3.5 back in the 1970's but there were no easily convertible freight cars. I tried Sn3 in the mid-1980's but the freight equipment was too 1900's Colorado and they didn't have a 4-4-0. Now there is Railmaster in New Zealand but a $600 dollar locomotive kit is out of my league.

Bachmann only wants to build hinky On30 now, only 30 inch prototypes and isn't going to build a 4-4-0. I was going to order two MMI 4-4-0's but when the bill says $800 bucks it causes a tremor in the force. So I have moved on. I have always found S to be the perfect size. I haven't had this much fun since the "ill fated" OO/HO project. That was almost Sn3.5, but there were problems in the execution.

Finally everthing is coming together

Harold

Harold Good on Ya, glad you enjoying yourself, it's what makes this a great hobby to be in

Back