BearClaw Valley Railroad

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

This has definitely been the most fun I have had with a railroad project . Now for all the details and making it look "dirty" .

Jim, just an observation on the waterfall, where you have gaps in the flow over the falls, glue a piece of protruding rock to give a reason for the dividing of the water
huangguoshu-waterfall1[1].jpg

Thanks for all the kind words guys .I am finally getting a bit more done . I started ballasting the mainline. I feel pretty good about how it performs . I am finding ballasting to be a bit mind numbing though . I do have to figure out how to do all my switches . I have watched a couple you-tube videos but the 2 techniques are 180 degrees opposite of each other . Anyone have a tried and true method they care to share?

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

The trestle is very impressive. Well done. Well worth the time and effort.

I don't care for ballasting very much either. When you come to the turnouts, a little shot of WD40 on the points and on the throw bar will keep the ballast and glue from sticking to them. Looking good.

Thanks Chet , I will definitely do that no matter which technique I use , I don't want to be tearing things out because they don't move anymore .

Michael , it is woodland scenic (#B1394 ) medium gray blend . It seems to darken just a tiny bit with the glue , but I think it is still going to need a black/brown wash or something .

Michael , it is woodland scenic (#B1394 ) medium gray blend . It seems to darken just a tiny bit with the glue , but I think it is still going to need a black/brown wash or something .

ok hmm. Ya I used the WS ballast on my last layout. But for my new layout I'm using the Scenic Express real stone ballast #40 HO scale light grey http://www.sceneryexpress.com/40-LIGHT-GRAY-BALLAST-QUART/productinfo/SE0153/#

You can use the weathering powders for in between the tracks. Use dark grey with a soft brush and lightly cover the ballast.

Like this....(not my layout)

14389010619_873afe6110_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that looks good Michael . What made you decide to change ballasts? Did you have problems with the WS?

Ya I didn't like it. You need to wet it down first, and it still tends to float when applying the white glue and water mix.

The real stone ballast is heavy and doesn't even need the pre-soak. It doesn't float and stays in place really nice, even with a heavy dose of glue/water mix.

Hey Michael.

Nice picture
I've never had problems with WS
Is it possible that you forgot an ingredient in your glue/water mix?
I use 50/50 and add a tea spoon of dish detergent
No need for pre-soak nor does the rocks float

No ballast at all yet on my layout, I want to very much but am still a ways from putting it down and have not decided on who has the 'best' ballast to use.

Y'all got me leaning towards a 'real rock' type of ballast. To my mind using 'real' rock where THEY use 'real' rock will help the overall 'look' blend together better. I'll be trying to use 'actual' material as much as possible, 'real' dirt where there is dirt and 'real' stone where there should be stone. Some will have to be 'fudged' but that is unavoidable.

No ballast at all yet on my layout, I want to very much but am still a ways from putting it down and have not decided on who has the 'best' ballast to use.

Y'all got me leaning towards a 'real rock' type of ballast. To my mind using 'real' rock where THEY use 'real' rock will help the overall 'look' blend together better. I'll be trying to use 'actual' material as much as possible, 'real' dirt where there is dirt and 'real' stone where there should be stone. Some will have to be 'fudged' but that is unavoidable.

No goldmines on your layout then? (I did plan a fools gold mine on a plan once).

Hey Michael.

Nice picture
I've never had problems with WS
Is it possible that you forgot an ingredient in your glue/water mix?
I use 50/50 and add a tea spoon of dish detergent
No need for pre-soak nor does the rocks float

So you just add the soap to the glue mix with no problems Lloyd? That would definitely be a lot easier and less mess with not pre wetting everything .

Sorry Jim,

My steps are as follow, I install the ballast, spray water on the ballast and then add the glue mixture.
The glue mixture just goes directly into the ballast without lifting any ballast particles.

Back