Bead board VS cardboard strips for scenery support.

Another nice thing about using the Cardboard lattes system, is it's flexibility. You can build what you think is a nice valley, mountain side, flat lands, etc. out of the cardboard lattes works, let it sit for a while before applying plaster dipped paper towels; or, plaster impregnated gauze and see how the land form works for you. If your track work is done enough that you can run trains, so much the better, as you can see how the land looks before committing to the final shape of things. Possibly the mountain side is a tad too steep, maybe the valley needs to be a little lower; or, higher, no problem, just push down, in; or, pull the land form up and you have changed it. Whole areas can easily be torn out and re-shaped, if you so desire. Having never worked in foam, I don't know how you can change it and can't imagine it to be as simple to change as the Cardboard Lattes system. Quite a bit of my scenery was changed after the first iteration was completed; but, before I locked the land forms in place with plaster.

Simply as demonstrated here and in the model railroading press, I know that foam board is a very popular method of doing scenery! I am fine with that and say to you: build your layout however you think will be best for you. Instead of being a proponent of one method; or, the other and espousing that method, keep an open mind, maybe try various methods if you like. Generally what happens is you try a method, streamline the process and get better at it as you use it! Above all, enjoy the process!

Back