Basic Tools for starting and maintaining a Layout

Hello all!! Returning to the activity "noob" here.

So I did a search, and did not see anything like this come up, but what would be a list of basic tools needed to do a train layout?

I have not done model railroading since I was a kid in the 70's, and dad did most of the build logistics. I was just wondering what things I would need to build and maintain a layout. I am assuming basics like hammers, saws, levels etc. But what else? What on the electrical side? I have a while until I get the space to start building, so I figured I might as well start getting hardware ready.

Again, it has been 30+ years since I was into this hobby, so any suggestions will help!!

Table saw would be great.
Rotary saw.
Jig saw.
Square and level.
Needle files.
Cordless drill and driver set
Clamps.
Wire strippers.
Wire cutters.
Screw drivers.
Pliers.
Soldering iron and materials.
Opti-Visor.
Glues.
Handy lights to illuminate places.
Rubber mallet and hammers.

Some of my go to tools:

All the tools Crandell hit on. Plus some others.

Multimeter.
Hot glue gun.
Hot wire foam cutter.
pocket screw jig
brad nailer
good hobby knife set with assorted blades. Especially a huge stock of #11s.
cutting mat.
putty knifes.
scale ruler.

For cutting things a band saw, or a table saw, or a chop saw can't do practically. Sawing large slabs of 1/2" ply into two pieces, for example. I use plywood extensively as a top surface if I'm not using cookie cutter and foam sections.

Ah Ha -- Your word "practically" deserves recognition.
Anymore, since I cannot handle large slabs of plywood, I get them cut into manageable "slabs" at the gittin place.

Cool...great lists. I feel good that I pretty much have a lot of these...the Dremel is definitely a good idea. The hot wire foam cutter would not have crossed my mind...good1

Sounds like I need to focus more on getting something to get all of these items in one place!

Back