ballast setter

Modeltrains2021

hi there on mercari there is this person making 3D ballast setters for $6 i just bought one he other day will let you guys know how it works when it gets here.

I think you're going to find that you are going back over the ballast to tidy things up with a tooth brush before ya spray the wet water.
I've tried every type of ballast spreader that's out there and they are all basically the same. They put ballast on the roadbed but ya need to go back over it all to fine tune it.

I think you're going to find that you are going back over the ballast to tidy things up with a tooth brush before ya spray the wet water.
I've tried every type of ballast spreader that's out there and they are all basically the same. They put ballast on the roadbed but ya need to go back over it all to fine tune it.
Same here. After running the spreader along the track I find I have to even it out and get it off the ties with a soft 1/2 inch brush. Gave up and went back to using a spoon to drop the ballast and then the brush to even it out and trim beyond the outsides of the ties.

I made one similar to that from styrene scraps. I think the key is not too much ballast. Mine leaves a little trail down the center and a couple swipes with a brush fills in between the ties.

I have a commercial ballast spreader that purchase maybe a year and a half ago, but I haven't used it as of yet. It's made of clear plastic and from watching videos on the device it seems to work as advertised.

1637099928417.png

Mine has a bit controls for the size of the ballast. A bit more expensive at over $40.00 from an Amazon source.

I been ballasting using a metal tablespoon and a makeup brush.

Greg

Last edited:
At the very least, after a careful application using this device, you'd want to remove most/all of the grains from the tops of the ties. That can be accomplished by tapping on the rails lightly, tap-tap-tap, all along the ballast freshly laid. I haven't seen this device used, and would never purchase one since I can ballast 3' of HO rails in about six minutes, plus another three to wet the ballast and then apply a glue mixture. Thirty more seconds to wet a clean rag and wipe the rail tops.

Selector: I have two long sections of track that I planned to use this "Tool". I watched a video of this tool being used and it convinced me that it was worth a try. I enjoy ballasting and like you I can ballast a long section of track in no time at all.

I normally use a metal tablespoon to apply the ballast and then like you tap the rails to settle the ballast and then for any problem areas, I use a makeup brush and gently wipe the tops of the ties to remove any ballast. I use a piece of cork roadbed to wipe the rails after wiping them with wet water.

A key is not to over load the application of ballast.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg, If you enjoy ballasting, I have a whole layout I am just beginning to ballast. You are welcome to do mine! ;)

Back