Ballast and a couple o scenes

ggp

ggp
Have been busy working on ballasting my track and playing with a scene on my mountain...I must admit that I was quite reluctant to try ballasting, until I read a how too from a previous post...In my first attempt the ballast was coarse and a little too large, but still acceptable as far as I am concerned, then I tried medium ballast and really liked it...so again, thanks to those who share their knowledge and expertise....In the one photo you can see that the white glue used to make the stream had not yet fully cured.

P1000986.png

P1010114.png

P1000671.png

P1000679.png

Paint track first maybe

Gary It looks great but I think you should have painted the track first.

NYC_George

If you still want to paint the rails, get a fine brush a little smaller the the width of the rail from the sides and brush paint it. It is tedious and takes time but it can be done and a lot of people do it that way. Scenic materials 1st, lay track, ballast, and hand paint. It will actually look very good by doing it that way. ;)

Thanks to both NYC_George and Laidoffsick...I already have the paint and the brushes....My plan is to do it by hand.

I always paint my track 1st, but as you can see in this pic, the ballast work seems to leave a haze on the rail. I use wet water with a bit of 70% isopropyl alcohol instead of dish soap to wet the ballast, then the eye dropper of 50/50 glue/water. I still go back over the rails with a brush as I don't like the hazy look on the rail from being wet.

IMG_0019.jpg

Thanks for sharing your work Laidoffsick...it looks great!! I also like the rock work you have done...that is also something I have plans to experiment with in the future:D

Back