Backyard Cars

OldGettysk

Running the MC & Buffalo
How would you like this in your backyard ? People who live on Maple Street in Lackawanna are concerned about some unwanted neighbors, in the form of railroad tanker cars on tracks behind their homes.

They say not only are they ugly but they could be a safety and security concern.

Neighbors who live here are used to having the railroad tracks here. But they tell us they're not used to this lack of activity by the parked tankers.

There are about 20 tankers. Neighbors say in the past cars have come and gone. But lately they've been here to stay since the beginning of May.

Residents are concerned about the contents since they're close to their homes. Plus, the cars have ladders on them which makes it easy for kids to climb on board.

And while the cars have been here, neighbors have discovered something else they don't like about the tankers.

Joyce McGowan, Lackawanna Resident: "When it's very hot, we can't sit out in our backyard because you can smell this. It's a horrible smell. Smells like oil refineries out there. This is not a safe place to store them and I want them out.

The tracks are owned by the Buffalo & Pittsburgh Railroad. Its president, David Collins gave 2 On Your Side this statement: "These are empty asphalt tankers. Nothing in them would put a neighborhood at risk. Our customer is waiting on a place to take them. We'll be slowly removing them. we don't know how long that will take."

2 On Your Side will stay on top of the story.:mad:

People here are upset about the revived use of the MEC Rockland Branch (under Maine Eastern's flag). Why did they move next to a railroad track?

Im upset that every time my neighbor fires up his Harley that I have to here him reving the engine. But I will not complain about it as he is an idiot and that will not change. I have just decided to live with it. I live half a block from the Railroad, Fertlizer Storage, Tire Shop across the Street and Grain Elevator. I grew up there and managed not to get hurt. Did I mention I can sleep thru anything.
People need to learn how to live with what they have.
People in my town complain about a local junk dealer having his junk at his place of bussness. I say if they want him to clean it up then they should pave all the steets in town.

At least in your case the nuisance wasn't sitting in plain sight when you moved in. I'm a small town lawyer. People want to sue the railroad for blowing locomotive horns for unprotected grade crossings. Um - didn't you see the track abutting your property when you bought it?

When the wind blows from the south here, we get a smell from the paper mill that could gag a maggot. :) That mill also provides about 400 good paying jobs in an area where there aren't a lot of good paying jobs around. The mill just went through putting in a whole new stack scrubber system but making cardboard is just a smelly process. It's kind of like those empty asphalt tank cars. Running a railroad is a sometimes smelly (and noisy) process. I knew there was a paper mill in town when I moved here. I'm assuming those folks in Lackawanna knew there were railroad tracks in their backyards when they bought their houses. Assuming the railroad isn't doing anything illegal, they are conducting a legal business and sometimes that's inconvenient to other people. There are millions of acres of land for sale in the west where you'll never smell anything but nature and never hear any noise but the wind. Maybe they should start looking.

There was a guy that sued the San Deigo Air Port for noise.
When asked why he bought the house were he did his answer wait for it.

He fly's alot for bussiness and wanted to be close to the airport. And wanted the air port to only fly 9am to 6pm mon-fri when he needed it.

Judge thur it out and told him if brought another case like that to his court he would hold him in contempt.

They should be asked if they would be concerned if there were 20 tanker trailors parked there instead of railcars. Its like if its railroad related its bad, but the same kind of semi-truck tanker parked is not. makes no sense.

You guys are right . when I was younger we lived about 400 yards from the Olin Matheson Corporation . It seemed every summer there would be an explosion over there. Nothing big but something would always blow. Well we got use to it then they closed the plant down. My parents house was sold in the late nineties . Two years after the house was sold they discovered a chemical dump behind the old homestead. Just goes to show you never know what your neighbor's will do . Never hurt me . I just glow in the dark !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to know some one who live 1/4 mile from the proviso yard in Chicago! i stayed with them for a week back in 1988, man what a racket that hump yard makes! but after a couple of days I learned to block out the noise at night! Tell you what, my friends uncle was retired engineer for CNW. I got a free tour of the whole yard........ I got some sweet photos that week!

They should be asked if they would be concerned if there were 20 tanker trailors parked there instead of railcars. Its like if its railroad related its bad, but the same kind of semi-truck tanker parked is not. makes no sense.

Oh they get after trucks to. May not understand till you drive one. Go down the wrong street in PA and one driver got a 13,000 dollar fine. I have to watch my P's and Q's about what I do. Heck I cant idol my truck in alot of places now. Just think they dont let you leave your kid in the car because how hot it gets. Now just think They can leave a trucker in a truck without airconditioning thought. Oh well I guess when I dont get enough sleep cause I wake up many times a night in a pool of my own sweat thats fine untill I fall asleep on the road because of it and run over someones family. I will enjoy the prison time I guess.

Sorry for the Rant but sometimes People make laws without thinking. Common Since is out the window.
Oh and about that driver in PA he was only following the directions given to him by his company but he was the one who payed the fine. The driver always pays the fine not the company. Now you know why
that Dick Simon driver drove his truck up the stairs at the California Capital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh they get after trucks to. May not understand till you drive one. Go down the wrong street in PA and one driver got a 13,000 dollar fine. I have to watch my P's and Q's about what I do. Heck I cant idol my truck in alot of places now. Just think they dont let you leave your kid in the car because how hot it gets. Now just think They can leave a trucker in a truck without airconditioning thought. Oh well I guess when I dont get enough sleep cause I wake up many times a night in a pool of my own sweat thats fine untill I fall asleep on the road because of it and run over someones family. I will enjoy the prison time I guess.

Sorry for the Rant but sometimes People make laws without thinking. Common Since is out the window.
Oh and about that driver in PA he was only following the directions given to him by his company but he was the one who payed the fine. The driver always pays the fine not the company. Now you know why
that Dick Simon driver drove his truck up the stairs at the California Capital.

Didn't know they got after you guys too. You almost never hear about it around here in nj, even if it happens in PA. I mean yea you hear about trying to curb idling for long hours and such. But what are you guys supposed to do in the winter? become an ice pop?

Back