Background Buildings

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I'm planning an area that I want to look like run down industrial area using background buildings. I used Walther's Cornerstone buildings that I kit bashed in another area, but I want to make this look old and run down.

Anyone have any suggestions for a manufacture of buildings of this type?

Thanks.

Greg

Logandsawman:

There's one flat in the downtowndeco collection that just make work even being its only 1/2" deep. It will be placed against a backdrop that is at a right angle to viewers, which poses a small problem being so narrow. I think I can work around that.

Thanks.

Greg

Not quite a background building but something that could be done with a swap meet bargain. Just about as run down as it gets. If your background area has a street or other bit of open space in front you could include the demolition equipment.

BigE12_4.JPG

Not quite a background building but something that could be done with a swap meet bargain. Just about as run down as it gets. If your background area has a street or other bit of open space in front you could include the demolition equipment.

View attachment 56001

I like that, but most of the time such a building would just be imploded. Now, a working implosion on your railroad, THAT would be cool!!!:D

Imploded!!!

Did that once when a locomotive ran off a dead end track and down to the concrete floor. %$#@@*()&^!!!

Thanks for the memories.

Greg

If you get some high resolution photos printed, and then cut them out and mount the photos on thin foam it can make for a really convincing background scene. It has to be done with perspective in mind though, otherwise it looks ridiculous. To blend the shallow background into the foreground, stick an old weathered fence right in front of the printed mounted buildings.

Check out http://wnrr.net/. The designer of the Washington Northern Railroad layout has used the print-and-mount technique very successfully.

Also, take a look at here and here for some really cool fences over at Model Train Stuff similar to what's featured on the Washington Northern as well.

Hope this helps!

Mitch

Back