Bachmann Spectrum Trains

Chemdawg

I'm just curious, about this stuff. I put this in the HO section, because that is all I am dealing with. I am expanding my collection, and soon going to be working on a layout of my own. DCC, and something that is related to steam.

With that being said, is the Dynamis setup any good? And how about the Spectrum DCC w/sound locos? I can see they are a bit of money, but I believe you pay for what you get. So with that being said.....

If I were to buy Bachmann (only did it once), it would be in their Spectrum line. Generally, they are quite good, although some kvetch about their Spectrum diesel products.

I know that the best rated steamer is their 2-8-0. Right up there is their heavy Mountain 4-8-2. It is all metal and heavy, and a good runner. I would guess that their Spectrum K4s from the Pennsy, a Pacific 4-6-2, is also a good runner.

The Dynamis should be a decent system, although I wouldn't buy one with less than 2.5 amps potential. If the Dynamis can do that, or 3 amps, or you can add boosters as you need to, then go for it if the price is good. It is made by Lenz.

The Sound on Board Spectrum engines have a degraded/non-full featured Soundtraxx Tsunami variant decoder. I have no experience with them, but they must be okay because the Tsunami steam decoders are universally liked, minus a few problems that one or two may have had.

I purchased a "new in box" Spectrum J Class 4-8-4, DC, and had a Tsunami 'heavy" added to it. It was a poor performer. It lurched at speeds less than 25 scale mph. My repair guy finally gave up on it, saying he couldn't figure out how to make it run better. That, as I alluded earlier, was my only experience with Spectrum Steam. I now have a BLI "Stealth" DC J Class that looks much better. And it runs well, too.

Thanks for that response. Of course since I'm just coming back into this hobby, my first experience after 30 years is with Bachmann stuff. I have been reading around, and it just appeared to me that the spectrum stuff is ok. I'm just having a hard time with the idea of possibly spending 400 plus dollars on a loco that is only SO SO.

They actually sell a setup that has a baldwin 2-8-0 loco with sound, 5 rolling stock, the dynamis system which I believe is 2.5 amps. Nice looking set. Price isn't bad considering the Dynamis system and the DCC with sound on board the loco. 599.00 I believe is the price.

The only thing I do NOT like about this setup is I'm not sure how much I like this EZtrack setup. I started out again by purchasing quite a few pieces of the eztrack. I do not like it anymore. So I would rather go to flex track of some sort.

All the Bachmann Spectrum steamers are good. You can get them on Ebay with a good discount. The Broadway Limited and Life*Like Proto steamers are also very good engines.
I have several of each.

Bob

Thanks for that info Bob. I'm looking at several steamers now. One thing I need to do is really start thinking about the direction I want to go in. I have this idea in my mind that I want to do my own thing. Figure out a layout that is fun to operate to me, and pick a time era to follow. I LOVE STEAM. I'm not sure why.... I know I have heard mixed ideas about it, but I love watching a steam loco move on the track with smoke and sound..... The biggest problem for me is that since I'm new, I am very inexperienced with landscape and weathering, and detailing. That is my biggest weakness right now. Lots of reading is helping though.

I think I'm going to keep looking at the spectrum stuff though. But I'm kinda moving away from the dynamis system. Slowly moving towards NCE...

I think the price you quoted for the train set is a bit stiff. About three years ago, Bachmann was selling a Christmas train set with a Spectrum 2-8-0, three or four cars, and the precursor to the Dynamis, the anemic EZ-Command which normally retailed on sale at about $70. The cost for the set, all up? $99. So, the set was a steal.

But you are being quoted a price six times higher. If I were you, I would shop around. I'll bet you can find a better deal, maybe as low as $499. Try MB Klein's as modeltrainstuff.com.

Oh, and EZ-Track is very costly. It also limits you to what the various curve radii will afford you in flexible design. You would be better to use flextrack and Atlas or Peco turnouts IMO.

I am also just getting back into model railroading. I decided to go with the NCE Power Cab DCC starter setup. Really nice system that is fully expandable. I got mine here for $139.99

http://www.modeltrainwarehouse.com/NCE-DCC-Power-Cab-System_p_227-777.html

I also got a BLI Blueline ATSF 4-8-4 on ebay. I put a NCE decoder in it immediately, and I love it! It is my favorite steam loco! I also bought a Bachmann ATSF 2-8-0 with DCC, and I am impressed with this nicely executed and nice running little loco! The Bachmann DCC is ok, but I plan on installing a Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder soon.

I have a bunch of Bachmann EZtrack, but I 'm thinking of giving the Atlas True Track a look. I think I still prefer flextrack for a layout though.

Well, from one "prodigal" to another, that's my 2 cents! Have fun! I know I am! :)

I just purchased a Spectrum 2-10-2 from Model Train Stuff for $149 and that's with sound. After fifty years of drooling at big steam, this is my first ever. I am very happy with it, sounds, looks and runs great. It doesn't like some of my track work but I'm fixing that. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

I'm just curious, about this stuff. I put this in the HO section, because that is all I am dealing with. I am expanding my collection, and soon going to be working on a layout of my own. DCC, and something that is related to steam.

With that being said, is the Dynamis setup any good? And how about the Spectrum DCC w/sound locos? I can see they are a bit of money, but I believe you pay for what you get. So with that being said.....

This is a video I made today of my spectrum 0-4-0 with sound and DCC. Running with an NCE cab. I love it. Sounds great with realistic low speed control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJzJ4xnXHAs

I have a Spectrum K-4 with tsunami sound and it is one of the best runners I have.
The best running steamers I have are BLI's, a Hudson and one of the hybrids.

I picked the Backman up for well under 200 bucks from one of the online outfits, programming it to utilize some of the features was a PITA [for me] but I got it to coast almost silently down hill and bark pretty good when it's working hard..automatic whistle etc. I'd buy another even though I love my Broadway stuff.

ATSFrailfan,

I have the same NCE system and I think you are going to like it a lot for all that it has to offer. I have not experienced everything that it can do but I have a lot of time ahead of me to find out.

Chemdawg,

Since it sounds like you are more interested in the steam engines from Bachmann I won't go into what I have experienced with the diesels. I have had only one Spectrum Dash-8 which ran good (DC only) but the details were less than perfect. This was fine because like you said: you get what you pay for. I paid like $50 or so. My biggest problem with that engine was that the couplers would not sit right. It didn't have a coupler box like an Athearn or the other companies so the coupler would sag. It never lined up with any other engine or car so I had to rebuild both coupler mounts. I still have it but I don't see it being apart of my future layout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back