Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 disassembly

azdiane

Hi,

While waiting for my nice G-5 to come back from the backshop, I'm messing with an HO Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 that came new out of the box with their sound. I have a Tsunami TSU-1000 I'd like to put in it instead, and I'll probably improve the speaker. It's sort of an opportunity to teach myself about the Tsunami, since that's the decoder we plan on using in most of our locos.

So right off the bat I'm embarrassing myself: I can't get the dang tender apart!

Does anyone have experience with this Loco and tender?
Thanks,
Diane

Yea, Jim was able to give me the lead!

His older model 4-4-0 tender had a single screw between the forward truck bolster and the tow-bar, while mine, which came with Bachmann dcc/sound installed, had electrical wiring coming out of that spot, and instead had one screw on each side. Tiny little flush-head Phillips screws, black against black, and hidden by the truck, if it hadn't been for Jim's suggestion leading me to the right area I probably never would have found them!

So, now I have the tender apart, and am going to try my hand at this somewhat daunting business of installing a Tsunami and an upgrade speaker to replace the Bachmann electronics.

Then I'm gong to take this pretty little green loco and paint it faded black and dirty it all up with soot and grime. We must be the only hobby in the word that deliberately makes our stuff look worse so it looks better!

Hugs,
Diane

Last edited by a moderator:

Back