Bachmann N & W Model J discontinued part advice

DOCatRU

Hi folks:

I have an HO scale N & W Model J engine that won't run. The shaft that transfers power from the motor to the wheels has some stripped gear teeth. Bachmann informs me that the part (Shaft #10034) is no longer available.

I am seeking your advice:

* is there a way to get this running, perhaps a replacement motor that would include a shaft?
* does someone have a junk engine that I could canabalize the part?

I'm trying not to have to buy a complete new engine.

Thanks,

DOC

Hi folks:

I have an HO scale N & W Model J engine that won't run. The shaft that transfers power from the motor to the wheels has some stripped gear teeth. Bachmann informs me that the part (Shaft #10034) is no longer available.

* is there a way to get this running, perhaps a replacement motor that would include a shaft?

Thanks,

DOC
I can't find this part number on HO seeker so I can't see the type of gear it is, could you post a pic please.

Hi folks:

Thanks,

DOC
If the gear is stripped That is part number 00L01 and they show that in stock its like 86 cents the shaft part not in stock

Here's a cept:
I've little doubt that that shaft and motor were installed in other type BMann steamers other than their 4-8-4 J type.
I personally don't know what that loco might be..But, I bet some member of the forum will have the answer, in which case, if THAT loco is more common and maybe even on the cheap side, privately owned, or on eBay, say, and was a decent price to boot, you might be able to swap it out, motor & shaft.
Just a cept..... Good luck..

Last edited:
Well, good luck with that..Hoping the $00.86 part is all you need and are able to install it properly...Buy 2, just in case...

I'd buy four of em since the worm gear on the motor is brass Maybe a lack of grease who knows But as long as the shaft is ok then kinda easy fix Not sure what the shaft is made of but if metal then he just needs the gears I would replace both if one has damage then possible damage to the other one Also check the drive gear on the wheel axle

Well, good luck with that..Hoping the $00.86 part is all you need and are able to install it properly...Buy 2, just in case...
Sorry about this (above). I was mistakenly thinking I was replying to the OP DOCatRU instead of MikeGTW.

Anyway, DOCatRU,

have you decided what you are going to do, now that you possibly only need an $00.86 part ? Also, did you inquire as to whether or not Bmann will repair it, now that it may only be that part, what their fee would be ? It could be something like $60-70 which is allot better than the cost of a new loco...
Or are you going to tackle it on your own ?

Last edited:

Back