Bachmann locomotive not working

pilot2fly

Hi guys. Last year I bought the Bachmann HO scale DCC trainset off Amazon with the Santa Fe GP40 and FTA. The track is E-Z track nickel silver and I'm using Bachmann Trains Power Pack with Speed Controller. Both those locomotives are running fine on the track. I recently purchased a Bachmann Atlantic Coast Line [FONT=&amp]GP30 #902 DCC Locomotive in HO scale and I can't get any power to the train. I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it. This is the only locomotive that won't work on my track.

Is there any way to fix this?[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
New or used? Who/where did you buy it from? Silent DCC? or sound? Expand a little on what you've tried to do with it.

is this your set? https://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Trains-Digital-Commander-Ready/dp/B000BPPNWE
611OshAi6jL._SL1000_.jpg

If it is that is a DCC set that came with Bachmann's E-Z Command Control Center
Did you buy the ACL GP30 used? If so the engine number may need to be reset so that you can control it with your system. If it is new try taking the other locomotives off the track and select engine #3 and turn the power all the way up.
Great set by the way, I have one too and I love it!

Yes that's my set. The ACL GP30 is used. Silent DCC. I've only tried to use it. I haven't made any modifications to the locomotive and to my knowledge neither has the person I bought it from. The Bachmann controller I have is analog but the Santa Fe GP40 and FTA both work on it and they are both DCC from that trainset. How do I reset the engine number?

They may have changed the locomotive number inadvertently or forgot that they did. Take the other locomotives off and try all the selections.

If that does not work reset the number. I can't remember how to reset the locomotive number but it is in the book. or one of the other guys I'm sure can help you.

King Toot, a little help here! :)

It is possible to disable DC in a DCC locomotive but now we are getting over my head.

I play with Lionel trains mostly but I like to dabble in HO because there are so many cool things in HO and I am a train junkie!

I got the same F unit in my Bachman starter set although it is in the blue and yellow paint it runs in Spartan territory! It's a wee beastie and one of the ones I use to test run on fresh laid track! Good sound, pulls good and it's almost as fast as the DD40! I'd like to repaint it to be my "Army" loco to pull the railgun. Got the cheapy railgun just to have it, the German ones are THE BOMB (he, he) but a bit pricey!

If the engine has had DC disabled, it will never respond to analog commands. In English, that means there is a setting when programming that is not available when simply using a hobby power pack. If you have a local hobby shop, take the engine there, and at the very least, have them set CV29 to 38. That will let it run on straight DC.

If the loco is brand new in the box, then it should run in DC analog mode, how ever if it is used it may have had the CV modified to not run on DC .. in that case you will need someone with a DCC system to reset the loco to factory defaults

If you still have the Bachmann DCC controller that came with the set you can use it to change the locomotive address, but that still won't allow you to run in DC if DC has been disabled.

I don't see how to reset the locomotive to factory defaults, but if you do have the DCC controller just reset the address and use the DCC controller.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/EZ_Command_instructions.pdf

If you want to stay with the DC controller contact Bachmann if you still have the DCC controller, they may be able to help you reset the locomotive to factory default. Then you will be able to use the DC controller.

Bachmann Industries, Inc.

1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19124 USA

www.bachmanntrains.com

Telephone: 800-356-3910 (toll free within the United States and Canada only)

Telephone: 215-533-1600 (for all countries)

E-mail: service@bachmanntrains.com

Otherwise as Terry said your local hobby shop should be able to help you or another model railroader who has a DCC system.

Back