BACHMANN HO SCALE SD70ACe Diesel DCC/SOUND

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
Does any one have any of these BACHMANN HO SCALE SD70ACe Diesel DCC/SOUND locomotives? I am looking for input on these. I have not had a chance to see one in person. I want to hear from ya'll what your thoughts/opinions are on these.

Thanks in advance.....

I've had several. They look pretty good, without much add-on details, and sound good. Paint is good, and lettering is clear. They also run pretty good, though not as good as, say, Kato models. If you have a chance to get one for less than $150 or so, they're worth a look. If you find one for $125 or less, they're worth a very close look. If you find one for less than $100, I'd slap you up side the head for not getting it.

Not the SD-70 Ace, but I did buy one of their GP-7's. About the detail level of the older Athearn Blue Box, easily upgradable. Smooth drive and mechanism. I'm not nuts about their decoders, but I've not tried a sound unit. If it fits your budget, why not? With the higher end plastic diesels approaching $350 a copy a budget friendly alternative is needed.

I've had several. They look pretty good, without much add-on details, and sound good. Paint is good, and lettering is clear. They also run pretty good, though not as good as, say, Kato models. If you have a chance to get one for less than $150 or so, they're worth a look. If you find one for $125 or less, they're worth a very close look. If you find one for less than $100, I'd slap you up side the head for not getting it.
I was wondering about value cost vs the details. It doesn't bother me to add details. Just wanted to know if the running gear/chassis is good and DCC/sound is par. What do think of it compared the Walthers? Which would you choose between the two?

I was wondering about value cost vs the details. It doesn't bother me to add details. Just wanted to know if the running gear/chassis is good and DCC/sound is par. What do think of it compared the Walthers? Which would you choose between the two?
If they're both sound equipped, I'd get the Walthers. The sound is by ESU, rather than Soundtraxx, and the Walthers drive is better.

While I have 2 bachman locos,.an ft and a GP30 I almost never run them. The ft I use it test decoders while the GP30 sits unused.I have Kato gp30s which I use a lot more. Prsonally I think their a waste of mony

While I have 2 bachman locos,.an ft and a GP30 I almost never run them. The ft I use it test decoders while the GP30 sits unused.I have Kato gp30s which I use a lot more. Prsonally I think their a waste of mony
I wasn't aware Kato offered HO scale SD70ACes in NS Heritage paint. Do you have a link to them? That is, after all, what we're discussing, not something that was tooled in the very early 1970s.

If they're both sound equipped, I'd get the Walthers. The sound is by ESU, rather than Soundtraxx, and the Walthers drive is better.

Thank you Terry! I will keep an eye out for that then. I would prefer an Athearn unit but I have not had any luck on finding lower cost ones yet. I may bite the bullet on those not sure yet. I have (2) Athearn units now and love them. I have the Union Pacific SP heritage unit with sound and I have the Union Pacific CNW heritage unite with out sound and both of course are have DCC decoders. I am looking to get the remaining heritage units at some point. I was just curious with these other manufacturers.

Thank you Terry! I will keep an eye out for that then. I would prefer an Athearn unit but I have not had any luck on finding lower cost ones yet. I may bite the bullet on those not sure yet. I have (2) Athearn units now and love them. I have the Union Pacific SP heritage unit with sound and I have the Union Pacific CNW heritage unite with out sound and both of course are have DCC decoders. I am looking to get the remaining heritage units at some point. I was just curious with these other manufacturers.
There's nothing "wrong" with the Bachmann engine, and if your fleet is exclusively Soundtraxx equipped, it would be a better fit than a lone ESU equipped engine. While the sounds from ESU are generally better, and the decoder is better, it would stand out like a sore thumb when you run one with Soundtraxx units. Throttle settings would be different as well as different sounds.

Back