Bachmann EZ Track vs Peco

T

tmiller

I have Bachmann EZ track turnouts on my layout. I am considering changing over to Peco turnouts. My question is: my Bachmann turnouts are # 44561. Is that a #4 turnout, and what is the compatible Peco switch? And, is it possible to replace with Peco switches?

Thanks for the help.

Ted

Bachmann's web site / on-line store says this switch has an 18-inch radius.

I checked Kato's web site and they show their #4 turn out as being a 21 5/8 inch radius.

I'm not sure what Peco's radius values are - might want to research that a bit.

The Peco 'small radius' code 100 turnout has a 24" radius. Medium is 36", Large is 60"
All have a 12 degree angle between the diverging track and straight track.

I have Bachmann EZ track turnouts on my layout. I am considering changing over to Peco turnouts. My question is: my Bachmann turnouts are # 44561. Is that a #4 turnout, and what is the compatible Peco switch? And, is it possible to replace with Peco switches?

There is no 1 for 1 replacement from any other manufacturer. Different size and angles. You would need to change the lay out of the track in the area and maybe throughout the layout.

You really should get hold of a Peco catalogue their website http://www.peco-uk.com/ isn't so helpful for comparing their turnouts.
they have several different ranges .

The steamline 100 code track range has small medium and large turnouts which all have the tracks diverging at 12 degrees just the radius and length changes.

The steamline 83 code track comes in #5, #6 and #8 turnouts. This is designed for the american market with a good rail height for HO and the American turnout numbers with variation in the divergence angle of the turnouts

I have a friend that loaned me two #5 turnouts. I need to lay them down on what I have and see what they look like. I figured that it would not be an exact replacement.

As for the transition, I think the Peco turnout is a little shorter than the Bachmann. So there would have to be some short filler track to install. I do have some spare Bachmann track that I could experiment with in regards to the transition.

This is maybe a hair brain idea altogether, but maybe it is worth exploring. I have so much trouble with the Bachmann turnouts, that I thought it might be worth trying. Why I went with EZ track in the first place is beyond me. Too much in a hurry to get a layout up and running I guess. If I had the time and patience I would like to replace it all with Atlas track. But the layout is completely finished, so I would have to tear out a lot of scenery.

A question, how do the Atlas turnouts stack up with Peco? I really like the Peco turnouts, and how they transition to the outside rails. Maybe the Atlas turnouts would better match the EZ track?

Something to ponder for a loooong winter project.

Ted

I have a friend that loaned me two #5 turnouts. I need to lay them down on what I have and see what they look like. I figured that it would not be an exact replacement.
A question, how do the Atlas turnouts stack up with Peco? I really like the Peco turnouts, and how they transition to the outside rails. Maybe the Atlas turnouts would better match the EZ track?

Something to ponder for a loooong winter project.

Ted

Peco has downloadable drawings that you can print out to scale.

http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=pointplans

Lay your other turnouts on top to make a comparision. I replaced several Atlas customline turnouts with Pecos in a yard, they weren't too far off and there are tricks you can use to help them line up, such as trimming the tie webbing to allow some flex in the turnouts. I dont know about EZ track

As far as comparing Peco's with other ready made turnouts, there are no better turnouts than Peco.

Back