Bachmann EZ Track System , Anyone use it ?

Fifer

We are just curious as the system looks pretty well made and seems to have quite a few parts available.
Any thoughts?

Mike

It's okay but...

G'day... I started HO in EZY TRACK after using it in short foray in N Scale.It definitely has some good points in that it's great to assemble or dis assemble for temporary applications ie. holidays etc... but two tips.. 1. steer clear of the steel alloy track and go with the nickel silver type and 2. If you plan on running 6 axle locos try to use 22" curves wherever possible.. The standard 18" stuff is a bit radical for those engines , okay for 4 axle ones though...No soldering required and it is a secure join.. the real drawback with this or any sectional track is it's limitations with curves and built in roadbed on EZY track looks kind of unrealistic as it comes. It can , however be overlaid with ballast products if you plan on using it on a permanent layout..Overall it's okay but I switched to Atlas Flexitrack since.. Re power connections...it's terrific for Bachmann componentry especially..quick plug in and use..a bonus.. Cheers from Australia.. Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only used EZ Track in HO, but I'll tell you why I switched. First, I'll say that it is intended to be ballasted. What you see in the gray plastic is the roadbed--like the cork used with flex track. The made it bumpy to look better until you did ballast it.

Now the problems. The track is too high for scale loading docks. To solve this, I added 1/4" foam sheets to my entire layout bring it to the right height.

The turnouts work okay, but they can and do fail. They are easy to fix--from the bottom. That means you have to rip them out of the layout to service them. This part resulted in my ripping up the layout to start over.

I don't have first hand experience with N scale easytrack, but when I asked around for opinions on it, most said the turnouts were unreliable. If you see some at a garage sale for next to nothing then it might be worth trying. I hear the HO turnouts are a bit better.

I have a couple hundred feet of the HO. My real layout can only do short trains but if I want to run a long train I set it up on the floor and fill up the house. I got it all used so it didn't set me back too much. The trains run pretty well on it, I haven't had any problems except when the joiners don't line up as I slide the pieces together.

I have a layout I'm building with Bachmann EZ in N scale. Not a single problem yet. I've been running all of my locos on the track and my curves are 11.25 in some areas. Still, no problems. I haven't hooked up my turnouts to operate remotely yet, but when I do, I have a plan for making them easily accessible from underneath.

I decided to use EZ because it was my first jump into model railroading and it was recommended for beginners. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit limited in pieces and options. I have no experience with laying my own track, so I think I will switch to Kato Uni-track for my next layout.

So, for me, Bachmann EZ has been super easy, no problems. I just wish I knew about Kato first since there are more options for track pieces. The Kato plastic track bed is a tad narrower too.

Oh yeah, don't buy it used unless you're willing to deal with some failure. It bends easily and some of the used pieces I bought needed some tlc to work well.

Back