Bachmann EZ track for beginners

UKtrains

I really like Kato Unitrack, but it has code 83 rail and I have really old Lima stuff from the 80s/70s and stuff from the 60s and in worried they won't run on code 83 so I'm considering Bachmann ez track as a temporary layout I can build when I run trains and take apart once I'm done, Im building a temporary layout until I have space to build a proper layout, can I ask what is the opinion on Bachmann EZ track, is it good for my purposes mentioned?

I have a temporary layout set up with EZ Track. I have the black base EZ track which I believe is not as good as the gray, but I had the opportunity at the time to buy the black cheap. The black is steel alloy while the gray is nickel silver. The black works pretty well as long as you keep it clean. Mine had been in storage for quite a while and I just applied a very thin coat of Ox-Gard (aka No-Ox) on the rails and rail joiners after cleaning to improve conductivity. I have no complaints with it honestly.

Last edited:
EZ-Track is a tried and tested product and is generally very good. The one fly in the ointment could be their turnouts. So many people report that they have problems with EZ-Track turnouts that it is a concern. I have used EZ-Track on a Christmas train set, On30, for many years now and have had no such problems, neither with the 18' radius snap switches or with the more prototypical N. American style #5 turnouts.

Treat it well and it will treat you well.

I had ez track with the gray base for my first 4 x 8 layout also put some Bachman turnouts in my third layout. I used them in my hump yard.

Out of about 9 turnouts they all worked, I think I had to tinker with one or two. Ultimately, they all worked fine.

Like the other guys said, track cleaning is essential.

I really like Kato Unitrack, but it has code 83 rail and I have really old Lima stuff from the 80s/70s and stuff from the 60s and in worried they won't run on code 83 so I'm considering Bachmann ez track as a temporary layout I can build when I run trains and take apart once I'm done, Im building a temporary layout until I have space to build a proper layout, can I ask what is the opinion on Bachmann EZ track, is it good for my purposes mentioned?
I use it for test loops and temporary things. Works fine, but pricey.

Back