Bachmann Dynamis signal

Yassa

Hi to all,

I've recently got into the hobby & purchased a Bachmann wireless EZ Command Dynamis for my HO layout, and find it works fine except for the strength of signal between the handset & the receiver. Sometimes the signal strentgh is fine but other times very weak.
From what I have read from posts on this forum there are mixed views on strengthmerits of the Dynamis system compared to other DCC set ups, for now I dont want to get into that debate, I intend to stick with it as I dont have a lot of coin to invest in another set up. Plus I have spent plenty on my layout already (layout is about 60 meters of HO track running just above head height around my 'sports bar / man cave' (converted garage)

So my question is - Is there a way to inprove the signal between handset & reciever ?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated,

P.S - great forum site !!
Cheers
Yassa - New Zealand

All your transmitter is is a radio. Like any radio, moving the receiver away from electrical interference (i.e. power supply lines, other electronics, etc) will help some (probably not a lot, but some). Place the receiver at a point where you can see it most of the time while you are operating. Radio waves can go through materials, but if they go though open air, they are happier (think path of least resistance). If you can, try mounting the receiver somewhere on the ceiling in the center of your room. That should help. Just keep moving it until you find where it works best.

RE Bachmann Dynamis signal

Thanks dpeterson for the advice, I have moved the receiver box to a better place, away from other electrical appliances etc. (before I posted my enquiry on this forum) Yesterday it worked fine but the day before it wouldn't pick up a signal at all. Seems to have a mind of its own !
I was hoping there was a way to boost the signal, I will try a new position for the receiver as you suggest, failing any improvement I guess I will have to put up with it or eventually replace the system - maybe,
Cheers,

.... Yesterday it worked fine but the day before it wouldn't pick up a signal at all. Seems to have a mind of its own !

Don't ya hate that!

What was different between the two occasions? Big ol' freezer running close by "sometimes"? Washer/dryer running? TV?

"Boosting" the signal is, IME, at best sketchy and at worst breaks things (don't ask ;)) - I think I'd try DP's suggestion and mount it in/on the ceiling if possible.

Good luck, cheers,
Ian

RE Bachmann Dynamis signal "Don't ya hate that!"

Hi Ian,

Yip, it is puzzling, the dynamis box is about 6 metres away from other appliances, so unsure if they are interfering with the signal.
Perhaps my dynamis unit is a female & it's just plain moody !
I will try talking nicely to it instead of abuse, along with DPs suggestion & see if that helps
Cheers,

The Dynamis does not use radio, it uses infrared, so it should not be affected by electrical interference. It does require line-of-sight or bright or reflective objects to reflect the infrared light off of. Low batteries in the handheld will reduce it's range. You can get additional receivers for the Dynamis to extend it's range, but you have to upgrade to the "Pro" box(at $200+) to be able to use them.

Thanks for all the advice I will try a few things and let you know how I get on,
Cheers

I'm a Digitrax user. I didn't realize we were discussing IR. Forget what I said about electrical interference. If you have a lot of ambient light in the room, that will affect how well the receiver works. Personally I would still mount the receiver somewhere high so that you can see it almost all the time. I noticed when I was at a friend's house and has to use the IR on my throttle, I had to point right at the receiver to even have a prayer of working. It wasn't a very good receiver. Looks like you can chain receivers together and they don't look to be priced that bad (but I only found the European prices so I could be way off on that). One on each side of the room would help. Also, orient the receiver so its sensor (look for the park under the semi-clear cover that looks like a square with a dome on it) so it is facing where you stand most of the time. Good luck.

Improved Dynamis signal

Hi everyone,
I have had some improvement with changes Iv'e made to the Dynamis.
what I did was get a gloss white bowl cut it in half to make it like a 'sound shell' and placed it behind the dynamis receiver and it seems to have improved the signal strength quite a bit, so some progress there !!
Thanks for all the tips & advise everyone

Dynamis IR Signal Intermittent

I encountered some IR signal issues with a Proto 2000 QSI chip equipped decoder using the Pro System. When Pro module was removed, no problem. QSI and Bachmann say it's the other hardware a likely cause. Don't have the issue using other decoders.

I have a Dynamis Pro Box system and have experienced similar issues. I suspect it is not the IR signal issue at all because I have good line of sight between the handheld unit and the control box. I think it's more related to how the CV codes are sent, received, and processed between the dynamis system and the DCC card on the individual locomotive. I have noticed the problem is more acute with my MTH Paragon 20th Century than others and that it's a variable issue. I contacted both MTH and Bachmann and they both say it's not their issue. My feeling the cause lies in the CV programming but don't have enough time, patience, or expertise to diagnose and troubleshoot it further.

Have you been able to see if the problem is consistent between locomotives or is experienced differently depending on which loco (DCC card) is used? That would help further troubleshoot.

Back