Bachman Spectrum Steam

jscw1

Jack Strong
Recently I purchased a Bachman Spectrum 4-8-2 heavy mountain with DCC/Tsunami sound. The question I have is what can be done to improve the running quality of this engine? The problem is that it hesitates and stalls frequently which I find frustrating. The engine was new at purchase and I purchased it on Ebay with only a 7 day return policy. This is the first Bachman I have owned. Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told that these engines need something like 30 - 60 minutes of run in time to start running smoothly.
I just got a new Bachmann Spectrum Baldwin 2-8-0 and I am very happy with it, but it still needs some run in time.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=114

These guys do have a lifetime warranty, so if you suspect there is a problem that will not be cured by running a while, contact them and see what they have to say.

My bachman 2-6-0 (bought off E bay new) worked great for about 20 minutes (on and off running time) then started running slow and irratic. Seller said I could send it back for a refund or exchange. Decided to completely disassemble, clean and lube (to my own specs).

Now it runs extremely quiet and smooth - one of my best running locos.

Jeff

look for binding in the side rods. some lastic flashing may be present? also look at the metal tabs behind the drivers if they are bent up it will run poor as the engines power pickup depends on those tabs along with the tender. then give it a good run in for about an hour. every engine needs some run time to get them gears smooth as silk and meshing nicely. if it still acts up after a good inspection and running it may have a weak motor? My spectrum heavy mountain runs very smooth but I feel the motor is weak for the weight of the engine and how much it can pull. my engine will pull 40 freight cars but as soon as it pulls a grade it drops about 1/2 the speed and its not slipping the wheels. hopefully it just needs a little break in?

My noob 2 cents
My 2-6-0 ran great (non spectrum Bachmann), did the break in, after a few weeks sounds like similar issue, "erratic" running, chugging, stalling. Then I read posts about cleaning and lubing from the veterans here. I read the sheet that came with it from Bachmann explaining contaminants in the pickups and brushes etc etc can cause this "erratic" running. Got the Bachman plastic safe conductive lube stuff. Blew it out with some RC car plastic safe electric motor cleaner (not recomended method lol but a lot of black gunk came out of the motor etc either from manufacturing remnants, paints, or crud from running under the xmas tree as a Berkshire lol) then I lubed it and now it runs like a swiss watch again. Hard part is getting the shell off/on, still not sure how to do this properly? I got frustrated/scared and just left it on this time. (scary) Good luck, let us know how it works out.

specrum staem

I have two Spectrums,
One 4-6-0 that runs great,but headlight does not go full bright,
and A 4-4-0 that ran good at fiirst,now runs sluggish,I thought about
calling Bachmann and see about getting them both fixed.
The 4-6-0 has DCC and Tsunami sound,
The 4-4-0 has just DCC.

Other than the above problems,I think they are great engines.

David

why I never buy loco's online... show me how it runs then I will buy

Bachmann 4-8-2 heavy mountain

I got some good advice which is all appreciated. I shipped the engine back to Bachmann today for repairs. Seems as though the engine I thought was new out of the box may not be. I do not think I will purchase off E-Bay any more, especially with a 7 day return policy. Tom, at Bachmann repair, said he will consider it a new item and either fix it or replace it. Thanks

Something I have found with Bachmann steam especially with the spectrum 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 is that some run spectacularly where other barely run at all... I test ran 5 different locos and only 3 ran well out of 5. That being said I have a number of Spectrum locos and am pleased with the performance of all of them.... but I test ran them at the store before purchasing in each instance. I find this isnt necessarily a problem specific to Bachmann though it does seem to be slightly more prevalent with their steam in my experience. Wont stop me from buying more though

There are some things that can be done to all of the Spectrum locos to make them run 100% better. This includes everything from the 4-4-0 to the 2-10-2. The shay is not included, and the steps, although similar, differ slightly from model to model.

Some of these steps are not for the faint of heart, and it helps if you're not afraid to use a file, or you know which end of the screwdriver is loaded;). Doing this "alteration", to the mechanism, DOES VIOLATE the warranty. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll type them up, take a few pics, and present them here.

I got some good advice which is all appreciated. I shipped the engine back to Bachmann today for repairs. Seems as though the engine I thought was new out of the box may not be. I do not think I will purchase off E-Bay any more, especially with a 7 day return policy. Tom, at Bachmann repair, said he will consider it a new item and either fix it or replace it. Thanks
I drove over to the Bbachmann repair shop with a shay I was having problems with. Tom Swapped it with a new unit on the spot and took time to discuss their line and the company. The whole crew including the receptionist were top notch and they looked like they enjoyed their job. Best customer service I've seen in years. That alone makes it worth using the Bachmann line.

Another good quick support source from Bachmann

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php

Ive been asking the Bach Man (noob lol) questions online too and Ive gotten awesome answers quickly as well as great little tips and tricks from them all.

One of my questions on cleaning lubing and shell removal I wrote during this thread discussion:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8333.0.html
I still think theyre a great bang for the buck with great support.

PS Cary, Ive only had one accidental discharge from the loaded end of my screwdriver so far. :) LOL

alterations

Hi, I just read your input on the Bachmann steam engines. I would be interested in seeing what you do for future reference. Thanks Jack

Yeah, probably just a little bit of cleaning up of the electrical path and lubing the drive train will get it back to a great running loco.
I have two of them, that I installed digitrax and sound in. Replaced the headlights with GoWs that fit into a drilled out headlamp. When I get ambitious, I'll go back and add a red GoW in the tender box.

I'll get the "clinic" typed up and photos taken over the weekend. It should be in here by Monday sometime. I have to do this to a friends 2-10-0 tonight.

So much for not doing stuff for other people & doing for yourself, huh???!!!;)

D'OH

I needed to do it to a non "tuned" Spectrum. L&N Castle, (William), has one that needed it done. I started it at 7:00pm, and with writing down notes, and taking the pix, I finished it at 10:30. He was very pleased with the improvement.

Besides Alan, :p I had to write slow so even you can understand it!:D;):rolleyes:

All kidding aside I have not found many of these that needed improvement. I'm a brass snob, as you know (it's your fault) but Michael has one that runs like a watch. A few guys at the club have them and have had no problems. I've been into one or two of the captain's to fix bugs. Are you guys buying them from Micro-Mark? Theirs seem to have more bugs than most. Maybe they're getting factory seconds or returns? (factor refurbished?)

I have at least 20 Spectrun Steam engines all purchased from Ebay new. At between $50-$60 each you can't beat it. Have only had to ever send one back to Bachmann. A 2-10-2.
I have 4 of the Heavy Mountains and 3 Lights. Love the way they look and run.
You need to run then for about 1hr to break in and then properly lube them. Make sure the tender wires and sockets are in all the way in and the driver electrical wipers are hitting the wheels on the engine. Also check drive rods and linkage for clearance.
With steam you have to learn to do some repairs or adjustments from time to time. It's a choice to learn or send everything back to the factory.

With over 300 HO and N engines only about 4 have ever been sent in.

Bachmann, Atlas, Walthers, Broadway and Athearn have always sent me parts under warranty at no charge.

Bob

Back