Automation questions (stop, start, reverse, etc.)

ChooChooCharlie

I’m brand new at this (trains) so not sure the proper "learning path" - if some of this is DC block control, DCC programming, or maybe requiring something else.

If I have a single train on a small layout, what would it take to have that train run on its own: slowing down and stopping at stations, pausing for a bit, then slowly accelerating or reversing to the next station, and automatically alternating track switches? This may be point-to-point, and the train is DCC ready with lights and sounds and stuff.

I am familiar with electrical circuits, programming RC airplane functions, etc so I can handle some complexity in the conversation. I haven’t done any Arduino type stuff yet but Im open to a DCC system that integrates with a PC for the initial programming. I just don’t know what’s been done in the train world, or if this is common or beyond capability of DCC, etc.

That said, I guess my preference would for less complicated programming and controllers, and more mechanical if necessary.

Thank you for reading and any comments.

Last edited:
Broadway Limited offers programmable operation into their decoders. Push a button on your dcc controller, then operate the engine as you want, then push another button to get the engine to repeat that behavior.

Well, that answers that! It's interesting to see how technology is being integrated into this hobby.
I started to find some sensors made for trains, including some time delays, so doing this project as DC seems easy enough. But considering a decent programmable DCC system is only $200, the cost is a wash and the DCC adds a lot more flexibility.

Back