Aurrghhhh! I can't make up my mind. (Thanks Jos)

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
This weekend I saw a layout that broke all the rules about what I understood made a good layout. It was a spaghetti bowl point to point that folded back on itself several times to form 3 levels on one deck. There were also some places on the layout you couldn't reach. But it was the most operationally intense layout I have ever seen for the space. This lead me back to re-examine the plan that Jos made for me.

It has track folding back on itself and places you can't reach. And there are some really cool features.

jos01.gif

jos02.gif

It has one element I don't like about my design--a duck-under. This and access is critical because two of the operators I met this weekend that wanted to run on my layout were rotund.

To remind you, my current design looks like this.

rockridge17d.gif

I think I can loose the duck-under at the expense of the continuous running within the layout room. I can get continuous running when I remodel the laundry room and in addition as a result, I double staging capacity.

But, the question is, can I increase my operational capacity (a biggy for me) by adopting a Jos-like plan?

I'm ready to build what I have now, but now I'm thinking I should wait until after I have run a few sessions on truly operational layouts I have been invited to.

I'm anxious to build, but on the other-hand, I don't want to regret forging ahead. I am going to be running ops on some truly spectacular layouts in the near future. It makes sense to wait and experience them.

Last edited by a moderator:
chear up chap, Chip!!

Aurrghhhh! I can't make up my mind. (Thanks Jos)
Sorry spacemouse!:p :eek:
Right now, I cannot answer any of your questions.. :eek:
I'll read this post very carefully tomorrow( now it's almost 11 o clock/evening and one eye is almost closed...)
May be I'll find something for continious running without the dug under...and with the double staging in the room next to it( like a long small dogbone...)

I'm anxious to build, but on the other-hand, I don't want to regret forging ahead. I am going to be running ops on some truly spectacular layouts in the near future. It makes sense to wait and experience them.

Looks to me like you've already answered your own question! :D

Hi Chzzz ipffff, (almost sleeping)
I feel guilty enough
Dont bothzzzzerr abouzzzz zzzat!
Please don't do that! It was /is fun!!
OK OK..... I wont draw a new one!( I think:D lol)

good night! Jos

My 2 cents worth is that if you think you have some visits to make or ops to attend wait a bit. Dont know your layout height for the duck under however a drop down or a fold up (like I have) certainly can be made to work well with a little planning. Mine stays folded up most of the time and we run point to point anyway. But when you have visitors it sure is nice to turn a train or two on and let them run in circles, while everyone checks out your stuff. I end up with lots of visitors that could careless about ops and want to see trains run. I set up several in the yards and let them pick which one they wanna see. But that is just me and how it works out for me.

I designed mine on paper for years and built the first quarter and took it all apart and started over once I saw it. So I know what you are going thru. It is worth taking your time.

Hope this helps.

Those measurements aren't inches in hight are they!? I have to hope not, that would be one heck of a grade from the duck under to Rock Ridge!

In my mine, I say go for it, but make the duck under removable.

Back