August 1958

I like it. I have enough old cars (still have hook\horn couplers) I can try to build one from. Any ideas on its use?
Drop end gondolas were used for normal gondola loads - pretty much anything. If they needed to haul something extra long they would drop the ends and have it stick out. Flat cars were used on both ends as "idler" cars for the load to extend over.

I remember in Arkansas when I lived there, outside of Little Rock, UP would use them for track maintenance. I think I got some 3x5 pics where they would fill the gons with ballast and had a CAT back hoe in the gon too. They would just run the CAT along from gon to gon as it emptied out the gons and drop the ends in the process. I wish I had a video of it.

I remember in Arkansas when I lived there, outside of Little Rock, UP would use them for track maintenance. I think I got some 3x5 pics where they would fill the gons with ballast and had a CAT back hoe in the gon too. They would just run the CAT along from gon to gon as it emptied out the gons and drop the ends in the process. I wish I had a video of it.
There are videos of that on YouToob, I've seen some.

Back