attack of nerves - Mountain making!

OCN Guy

Well, i'm looking at my options for making my mountain area on the east side of my layout. Mountains, tunnels... all that COOL stuff.
debating various ways to construct the mountain, including supports. I want it strong, like everything else on my layout!

So, Larry, Doug, everyone else - you all have GREAT ideas that i've used before!
What nifty tips do you have for me?

Use Styrofoam to build it, even the messy white bead foam will work. It should be lite but strong and it is easy to form.

Foam is the way to go for strength.
I'm using the extruded pink foam to make my cliffs/tunnels.

Backdrop6.png

I am going to shape them a little bit then cover them in plaster and then paint and add foliage.

Foam is the way to go for strength.

I'm using the extruded pink foam to make my cliffs/tunnels.I am going to shape them a little bit then cover them in plaster and then paint and add foliage.
Nice work. That looks suspiciously like a cliff I climbed on in utah some years ago....small world....except mine had no RR tunnels. And appears you are using atlas code 80 track.....just like mine. I hope to see more of your progress......and OCN guys progress too.

Mike

Well, i'm looking at my options for making my mountain area on the east side of my layout. Mountains, tunnels... all that COOL stuff.
debating various ways to construct the mountain, including supports. I want it strong, like everything else on my layout!

So, Larry, Doug, everyone else - you all have GREAT ideas that i've used before!
What nifty tips do you have for me?
I don't have mountain/landscape experience yet.......but I like your blog.....my own N scale layout will be expanded soon to U-shape like yours. David Pop is a likeable train geek and I enjoy his videos.

Mike

I started with cardbord and Plaster Cloth. And the painted it. But for some reason Even after 3 days it was still wet a soggy. Not sure if it was a bad batch of Plaster Cloth? But i ripped it out and went with foam. Then covered it with SHEETROCK Brand Durabond 90
RbMCG.jpg

XsuVd.jpg

GFW0c.jpg

8wySs.jpg

xE3lf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did plaster over paper towels for the high spots, and cut into the underlying foam for the lows. Whatever works best for wherever you're working. :) So long as it all gets covered in plaster, you can get away almost anything underneath.

I don't have mountain/landscape experience yet.......but I like your blog.....my own N scale layout will be expanded soon to U-shape like yours. David Pop is a likeable train geek and I enjoy his videos.
Mike

Thanks! I appreciate it! The blog is my way of writing what works cheaply ,and what doesn't, and showing my scenery techniques. Unfortunately, all I've got is a cell phone and no camera.

I guess something I should mention is that everything has to be CHEAP! I don't have a lot of money to throw around, due to high medical bills.

Can't get much cheaper than an old cardboard box, hot glue, a box of patching plaster and a roll of paper towels.

If you're really seriously crunched you can even use balled-up newspaper instead of cardboard and glue, probably not quite as strong though.

Plaster Cloth

I think you may have gotten a bad batch. I am using some today and it dried in less than 30 minutes. Too thick will slow drying. Maybe there was something in the water. Plaster does not go bad. I have seen 100 year old houses with plaster walls smoothed with a wet sponge. Good luck!

Armchair

Back