ATSF EMD E8m Kitbash from SP E9 (HO)

Yannis

Hi all,

I recently finished up an ATSF E8m locomotive originating from an SP E9A. The finished model represents the E8m late in it's service life (mid to late 60s, new antenna, extra grab irons, etc...). Following paint removal and disassembly, the required mods/upgrades were done using styrene scratch built items, brass rods, Details West & Plano parts. Paints by Alclad, AK, Tamiya and Gunze, clear coats by Tamiya and Winsor & Newton. Weathering was done using oils, airbrush, weathering enamels and salt weathering technique. Decals by Microscale.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Yannis

E8m_18.jpg
E8mDSLR1.jpg
E8m_12.jpg
E8m_15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie and Chet, many thanks for the kind words! I bought the E unit because i liked it a lot, originally to use it as an SP unit, time passed, moved to ATSF and decided to still use it in a plausible yet fictional way on my layout since i also appreciate the proportions of E units a lot. I also like it's previous form the E1, wish i could make my layout dual-era (hmmm...food for thought).

Very nice Yannis, excellent modelling!
I have an undec unit on the shelf that's slated to be BN3 one of these days, I'd be happy if it turned out half as good!

Jerome and Rico, thank you very much for the compliments! Rico looking forward to seeing your E unit progress. I am sure it will end up looking great! I wish i could find more undecorated (new) locomotives especially if they are also unassembled. I wasted a lot of time removing paint, disassembling the shell details / glass and cleaning surfaces.

man I love love love your work .I have a huge soft spot for the warbonnet even thou union pacific articulated steam Is the
stuff I model lol

Incredible work. I have been entertaining the idea of Kit bashing an E5. Either using an E6 shell or doing a crazy complicated build using the cheap and abundant Athearn BB F7 shell. Can you get "corrugated sheet " decals. I have seen the rivet decals and they look great. Shadow lines like the "Knickerbocker" Southern Pullman heavyweight could work. I hate to mess up a decent E6 shell. I like those too. Ever tried to 'Bash out an E1 using a later E unit? Are the E1 noses the same slope as the E6? Sorry to bump an old thread.

I'm a car guy also. My "Stingray". I've been doing auto body repair as a hobby since high school so Kit bashing model trains Is right up my alley. Let's see that Black Z28!😁

Incredible work. I have been entertaining the idea of Kit bashing an E5. Either using an E6 shell or doing a crazy complicated build using the cheap and abundant Athearn BB F7 shell. Can you get "corrugated sheet " decals. I have seen the rivet decals and they look great. Shadow lines like the "Knickerbocker" Southern Pullman heavyweight could work. I hate to mess up a decent E6 shell. I like those too. Ever tried to 'Bash out an E1 using a later E unit? Are the E1 noses the same slope as the E6? Sorry to bump an old thread.
I used an E6 and added thin corrugated sheet styrene to produce a Burlington E5. The windows are not quite right, but I didn't feel like going that far, and there are very few people (none who will visit my layout) who would know the difference. View attachment 126785
IMG_0498.JPG
View attachment 126785
IMG_0498.JPG

Back