Atlas Turnout Question

I find it funny that Atlas code 100 is cheaper then Code 83, but ME price goes down by code.

Mind you all, I might say I prefer ME, but I DO have a growing pile of Atlas. I pick it up an eBay.

Josh, I think it is only because Code 100 is not as popular as Code 83. How much have you been paying on Ebay for the Atlas Flex?

Rex, my LHS is also my favorite eSeller, Http://www.caboosehobbies.com

Cod 83 Atlas is 3.49, 20% off if you order 25 at a time. That gives a price of about $2.80 per if my calculator serves me.

This is the same source of the ME flex I shared at 5.49. Peco code 83 NS is 4.93.

I look for reasons to go to my LHS.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I will give them a look. I have looked them over on the web for other things and they have a very good selection. You are so lucky to have them as your local LHS. All I have is a shop that is heavy on R/C and another that has stuff from the 80's or I can drive to Birmingham about 55 miles and go to a shop that is full retail price. Along with gas prices, all of this keeps me shopping at web stores. I miss all the fun of handling (playing:eek: ) with stuff, but being retired I have to watch the pennies.;) :)

I do understand Rex, I lived in Jackson, MS for most of the 70's. I never take my LHS for granted. Those of us who live in Metro Denver have two of the very finest LHS in the US, maybe even the world. Afterall, Mizell's trains is nothing short of wonderful either!

Joe

i have been using walther's shinohara code 83 turnouts with atlas code 83 flex. they are the same height. you can find various wye turnouts and curved turnouts in walther's range. they are not always available though and you may have to search the internet for a dealer that has them in stock. a #2 wye is equivalent to a #4 and may be too sharp a radius for the cars you will be running.

willby, most of my turnouts are Walthers Shinohara and I have had very good success with them. The supply of them is very tricky, as Walthers only gets them in twice a year. One time I called all over the US to get enough for a large Yard. You do have to be careful not to snag the spot welds underneath or you will have to do some very tight resoldering. But if you are careful with that, you will have long service from them. Look good too!;) :D

I do have several Atlas and will install 5 more in a "time-saver" configuration next week. The only complaint I have with Atlas is the #4's. Almost all I have received had a bowed outer stock rail. This is ok with small diesels, but the devil with steamers.

Hitching a ride: Joe, I just read your comments over in the photo gallery. Thanks! Yes, humidity is a problem with the old brass track. Heck, my first layout was in the late 60's and it was in all places...Bangkok, Thailand...and yes I had brass track.:eek: I would run 30 minutes, clean 30 minutes. If all we had today was brass, I can guarantee you that I would not be in this hobby:D :D . Oh yeah, I just posted my track plans over on the Layout thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex, I got a chunk of Atlas flex recently, some parts were down to 8" (two sections) up to one full 36", 9 tracks, for $4. Seller even threw in free shipping. I've seen some other deals too, but I grabbed that at the same time as trying to win an E-R Models Monorail, sadly I only got the track. Its all new, just his left over sections, I guess.

hey guys, i just won a bid on 25 3ft sections of flex track, the final bid was $47.00, but theres bad news too, the seller didnt tell me that the shipping was $20.00 so i have to pay $67.00 total for 25 full length (3 feet) sections of Atlas Code 100 Flex track, you think thats a good deal?

unless you buy from a lhs you would still be paying shipping. the best deal i could find including cheapest shipping rate from an online site was $68

Back