Atlas Turnout Question

hello, i was wondering, if i run big modern equipment such as SD70MACS and Dash9's, intermodal cars, and auto racks. But to make my layout, i need 2 wye turnouts. Which type of turnout would be broad enough to where the modern equipment wont derail and will have no problem getting through?? o and by the way i am going with atlas track, so the wye turnouts has to be atlas, in HO scale.

Thanks

bnsfmodeler

A #5 Wye should be fine, as long as you're not speeding through it. Maybe a #7 or #8 if you can find one.

I assume you're talking about the Custom Line type of turnouts.

As far as I know, Atlas only makes one size of wye turnout, which I think has a #4 (or 4.5?) angle frog - should be OK for your use.

As for the other turnouts, I'd go with a #6 minimum for what you're using.

Atlas also makes a #6 turnout in a line called "Super Switch." They are part no's 505 & 506 in their product line. I don't own any, but from what I've seen, they appear to be mechanically the same, but look more prototypical than the Custom Line turnouts. They're also generally a dollar or so more expensive than Custom Line. But they only make them in #6, code 83. Not sure why they don't make them in other sizes.

Cheapest place I've been able to find for Atlas turnouts is Model Railway Post Office www.modelrailwaypo.com - they also advertise in Railroad Model Craftsman magazine.

...Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm not affiliated with Atlas, MRPO, or RMC in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
BK Enterprises makes a #5, #6 & #8, but they fetch a hefty price as they're made to order.

hey thanks josh does BK enterprises have a website?

Joe Daddy, i am planning on running code 83 rail. But i have another question, if im buying atlas flex track off ebay, but the seller doesnt know the code of track he said it says atlas 168, what code is that? so im probably running whatever code track that track is if i can win the bid, if not then code 83.

thanks

bnsfmodeler

Mine says Super Flex 83 on the backside.

FYI, Peco code 83 turnouts and Atlas flex code 83 are NOT THE SAME SIZE. Getting them shimmed to align properly is a challenge. Code 100 Peco turnouts and Code 100 Atlas seem to be a marriage made in heaven, but not the 83.

I have 15 Peco turnouts that will not return to service on my layout in the reconstruction project underway. After I found out how well an Atlas code 83 turnout functions with a Tortoise switch machine, I am a happy Atlas camper.

My 2 cents worth hardly more.
Joe

The code 83 thing is a challenge, I remember seeing somewhere, the exact height difference in the ties. If I remember right, one of them is made to line up with its code 100 brother, so the ties are thicker.

As for BK, the only place I've seen them is Walthers.

ok thanks josh, so 168 is code 100? thanks

and josh, what kind of track do you use? in some of your pictures of you locomotives, i can see that you have some on tracks, what kind of tracks are they? because they look very, very good.

thanks again everyone

bnsfmodeler

Micro Engineering. I prefer it because of the stiffer flex track, and I bought the 6 packs for less then 3 Atlas sections cost...

I have 1 Micro Engineering and 1 Atlas switch, and I also prefer the ME switch, but the atlas is mighty nice too.

Same time it will take Atlas track. . . (I just had to say that!)
BY he way ME track is compat with Peco code 83 turnouts. ME Flex track is about 50% or more expensive than Atlas flex.

Joe

Yeah Joe, that's what I thought...ME items aren't cheap!
One thing that we now have to do is shop carefully all the web stores to price Atlas Flex. There can be a much as a dollar difference in price per stick at the different places. The best price I have found for Atlas Flex Code 83 was at 1st Place Hobbies at $2.89/36" stick. Even this is much higher than a year ago.

http://www.rrtrains.com

One week shipping from WI to Cali, and as I said, it cost me about the same for the 6 pack as 3 Atlas tracks would have at the LHS. The price has gone up $2 from when I bought mine though. And the $50 membership is not worth it unless you're doing some heavy buying and don't want to surf around the net much.

I got my RTR Athearn Dash 9 for $62, and the 6 pack of track for $27, plus a switch, and some Woodland Scenics mod-u-rail sections.

You got a good deal on all that, Josh.
I meant to add that if someone was just starting a layout and can afford the chunk of money, it is way cheaper to buy a case of 100 sticks (300ft.) of Atlas flex. I did this a couple of times with an LHS and a website, but you still need to shop around.

Back