Atlas Trainman GP39-2 - CSXT 4305 Repairs and Upgrades

brickbuilder711

FEC Train 222
Hi friends,
I wanted to post an update on a locomotive of mine that I acquired several years ago, and also ask about how I could make a certain repair/replacement.

I purchased a GP39-2 from Warrick's (Now Maniac's Hobby) in 2011 for what was to be a CSX switching layout. The layout never came to fruition, but I highly regarded the locomotive, that I kept it in static display.

I accidentally dropped it about 3 feet on carpet floor. Cosmetically there wasn't much that happened, engine almost looks unscathed. But I place it on a DC track and it won't run.

But wait -- I'm not exactly sure the drop is the sole cause of it. This is the situation with the locomotive (which I never got to break in)
Engine does receive track power. The rods and flywheels do spin.
The front truck's wheels are practically stuck.
The rear truck's wheels are loose, but don't move. Now that is likely jammed by the impact.

What is grinding my gears, pun totally intended, is the front wheels being practically stuck. If it isn't the drop that caused it -- Is that expected from not running it for a long time? Or is it sort of a defect with the model?

Now, maybe the engine wasn't meant to be kept with the internals of an Atlas Trainman locomotive.
I want to ultimately hook the engine up with DCC and sound. Granted, a sound decoder likely won't fit in the engine. Any recommendations on a flywheel and motor assembly that can support sound and DCC? I believe Atlas did produce a GP38-2 with DCC/Sound, all I would need to do is get that and reprogram the decoder for a turbocharged 16-645.
Any input is appreciated. Ultimately I plan to throw in ditchlights and make the engine fully operable and detailed. I might go with my original plan to model CSX in Miami.

The new Trainman GP39-2 Gold comes with QSI Titan sound decoder, and sounds pretty good.
Simply find any one (the cheapest) on Ebay, get it, and swap shells. They are currently less than $120 complete, which is about what a new Titan and speakers would cost.

Back