Atlas Switch machines Pros and Cons

Odyknuck

I will be using Atlas # $ and #6 Custom line switch's on my new layout. I realize there are better switch's to use however I have around 50 of these that are new so I will not be investing in different ones. I have some Shinora specialty switch's that will be utilized. I also have 41 of the Atlas tabletop switch machines. I would like to use Tortice or similar however I can not justify the cost. So other than the Atlas machines look hoky, take up a lot of space, do not have Aux. switchs and are noisey, what are the pros and cons of them. Other than simply having them I will be using 2" foam base and these remove the issue of mounting to foam from under the layout. From what I see, its a PITA to use anything else other than ground throws. The atlas machines already give you that capability.

I realize there are better switch's to use
There are folks that will argue with me on this. But Atlas Customline switches can be made to work just fine. While I use mainly ground throws on my present layout, I have used many Atlas switch machines in the past. There are many posts that explain the tune-up needed for some Atlas switches. Not all of them need tuning-up.
what are the pros and cons of them
You have listed all of the cons. The pros are that they work with Atlas switches, are easy to install and they are cheap. Since you already have them, why not use them? Noisy didn't bother me, unsightliness did. I use a memory walk-around DC throttle so the ground throws work well for me now. There are a couple of places that I still use the Atlas machines because it is unwieldy to reach over structures and scenery. I mount the controllers on the fascia and connect it to an AC buss that I have under the layout. In some cases, the structures effectively hide the machines, in others I will use bushes and trees to screen them.
DISCLAIMER - I have 114 Atlas Customline switches, both #4 & #6 and a handful of Atlas Snap switches currently on the unfinished layout. I do have several dozen machines in a box...LOL
Hope my information helps.

Willie

My layout is all code 70 rail with either hand laid turnouts or Shinohara turnouts EXCEPT in my hidden staging tracks. Once the tracks leave your view, I went to code 83 flextrack and have 4 Atlas Customline turnouts. They are powered and have been in operation for well over 20 years with no problems whatsoever.

So other than the Atlas machines look hoky, take up a lot of space, do not have Aux. switchs and are noisey, what are the pros and cons of them.
I think you already nailed the cons:
Noisy - but see the pro list.
Space - they are large.
Look Hokey - but not a hokey as one would think there are all sorts of trackside mechanics one can see when they look. Besides they have even been on the cover photos of MR magazine. Thinking specifically of the series for Jerome & Southwestern. I didn't even notice until a friend pointed it out.
No Aux Contacts - There is a version that comes with an aux switch but I assume you don't have that type. So that would be the biggest con to me. Cannot easily integrate into a unit to power a dead frog, or signals, or feedback to a control panel.

PROs:
Cheap -
Easy to Wire - both in concept and mechanics
Easy to Maintain - so cheap they are almost disposable if there is an issue.
Noisy - so one knows when they are working. One can usually hear them "snap" too.
Readily available - both new and used.
No special power supply necessary
No issue of mounting under 2" of foam - or through 2" of foam - or remote actuation bars, etc.
Work great manually.

I agree with a prior poster. If you already got them why not use them?

Last edited by a moderator:
But, if you have a plywood base (w/ foam above), how can you easily mount the motor w/ screws (w/ holes have to be drilled first) exactly where it has to go since there is only a mm of 'play'?

Bruce
I hope that I understand your question correctly. Atlas switch machines mount directly to Atlas switches, they actually "snap-in"; they do not mount to the layout. Very simple and efficient.
Willie

I was referring to mounting the machines below the table. The original HO scale machines. I wasn't aware any N scale Atlas motor could be mounted below the table.

I was referring to mounting the machines below the table. The original HO scale machines. I wasn't aware any N scale Atlas motor could be mounted below the table.

#@&%*!!! - Didn't see that coming, as there has been no mention in this thread of either below the table or N scale.
Atlas does make under the table switch machines for N scale. Don't know the length of the throwbar.
Willie

Ironhorseman summed up the atlas switch machines very well. I might add that I heard that the machines are unforgiving and burn out if power is applied too long to the machine. But, cheap to replace. if needed.

My 2 cents worth.

Well guys I have decided to not go with the Atlas Switch machines or the Atlas Turnouts. I will be using Peco and Shinohara Turnouts with Tortoise machines.

On my first layout from ten years ago, I bent the end of the throw on the switch machine 90 degrees, and hot glued the machine to the under side of the turnout ... it was then hidden in the foam, but still a bit noisy

Hi guys - I’m new to this thread, but I needed to get some advice on the Atlas turnouts and remote control switch machines. I’m having a vexing problem with locos derailing at the beginning of a crossover composed of two Atlas #6 turnouts and Atlas remote switch machines. On one end, it appears that the switch machine is not fully holding the diverging point against the rail. When I activate the switch via the remote, I hear the familiar “snap”, but upon inspection, I see that the diverging point has migrated ever so slightly away from the rail that it’s supposed to “hug” which appears to be causing locos’ flanges to “ride up” on the point leading to derailments. Question: is this a defect in the turnout, or is the remote control switch machine at fault for not “pinning” the diverging point to its rail? I hate to tear the track apart without the benefit of someone’s wise counsel here. Thoughts anyone? Thanks! Mike

My initial suggestion is to get rid of the atlas turnouts/points and use Peco Turnouts (insulfrogs work well and are plug and play) and points that have springs to ensure a proper connection of the frog to the rails.

It sounds to me as though the problem isn't with your "remote switch machines, but with your points.

Do Peco turnouts “pin” the points against their respective rails with springs in the turnout, or is this the result of the remote control switch machine holding pressure on the point against the rail?

The turnout itself has the spring that holds the frog firm against the rail. The switch machine (whatever is used) is only to move the frog from one rail to the other. If you get a Peco Turnout, you can move it by hand and feel the spring "snap" the frog in place.

Peco Insulfrogs are the only turnouts/points I have used in 10 + years without a problem.

Just another thing for you to consider - regardless of which turnouts you choose, I would go with DCC Concepts Omega Point Machines if you want to have remotely operated points. They are a little more expensive than other make sBUT are far more solid AND pre set for turnouts so all you have to do is attach them to the points/turnouts - you don't need to align them as that is pre set.

They also work best with Peco Turnouts as they are both British made so if you have an issue with either you can speak with the guys who actually make them ;)

Mike - If the switch machines are properly mounted and aligned, it's possible to slightly bend the point rail with a pair of pliers to make complete contact. I have only had to do that with 1 of my now over 120 Atlas switches.

Mike - If the switch machines are properly mounted and aligned, it's possible to slightly bend the point rail with a pair of pliers to make complete contact. I have only had to do that with 1 of my now over 120 Atlas switches.
Yes, I’ve done that. I may have other leveling problems that are cropping up that are contributing to the derailments. But I was sure hoping there’d be an easy way to secure the points against the rail(s). Thanks Willie!

Back