Atlas S2

Alco RS11

Seems coupler boxes and pins are no longer available for yellow box S2 and S4. What are modelers using instead? Tried a Kadee #5 box with no luck. Have pins for roadswitchers but they are too large.

Lately, I have been making the draft gear more to scale. This means a coupler barely fits through the opening and a #5 box is not even close to fitting. I have been using #158 couplers and just holding them in place with a screw and washer. The springs fit in the opening and keep the coupler centered.

Here is the setup on a Proto SD9. The coupler is mounted to a pad of styrene glued to the frame.

sd9Coupler.jpg

Lately, I have been making the draft gear more to scale. This means a coupler barely fits through the opening and a #5 box is not even close to fitting. I have been using #158 couplers and just holding them in place with a screw and washer. The springs fit in the opening and keep the coupler centered.

Here is the setup on a Proto SD9. The coupler is mounted to a pad of styrene glued to the frame.

View attachment 136202
What you are doing there with the coupler is as probably as good as you'll get. It was just as well Kadee started making the whisker couplers, I had a number of Bachmann Silver series box cars etc some years back (must've been about the same time) and the copper centering spring with the KD#5's would not sit down into the cast in boxes. Only by the thickness of one side though. The whiskers solved that.

Back