Atlas Remote Switch overloading Power Supply

Trainboy4449

I have recently added an Atlas Remote Switch to my layout and just got around to wiring it up. Whenever I operate the solenoid with my momentary switch my power supply warns me of an overload but the solenoid still throws the turnout correctly. This would imply there is a short somewhere in my wiring but after a lot of testing this is not the case. I checked the wiring and the switch machine by itself and found there is continuity between all three terminals on the switch machine. Is this normal?

I am using a grey Athearn (ath 9997) power supply and have wired multiple ez-track remote switches without problem.

The resistance of the coils in the switch machine have a fairly low resistance , so it wouldn't surprise me that a continuity check would be positive between all three. It also doesn't surprise me that the pack would show an overload , but its possible that the switch machine might be partially toasted as well. Occasionally , a failed momentary switch will cause the Atlas to stay on and they will overheat , when they do the case of the switch machine will warp/deform or event melt.

So check the outside surface of the machine for signs of overheating / melting and replace if needed .

The resistance of the coils in the switch machine have a fairly low resistance , so it wouldn't surprise me that a continuity check would be positive between all three. It also doesn't surprise me that the pack would show an overload , but its possible that the switch machine might be partially toasted as well. Occasionally , a failed momentary switch will cause the Atlas to stay on and they will overheat , when they do the case of the switch machine will warp/deform or event melt.

So check the outside surface of the machine for signs of overheating / melting and replace if needed .

The switch is brand new so I don't think it is toasted, it's been like this since the first time I operated it. It still operates so I'll keep it for the time being.

What is the source of power for the switch machine? It is possible that the power supply isn't enough even for momentary power. Essentially, when activating a solenoid, you are creating a short circuit. You might consider either upgrading the power supply, or purchasing a separate AC power supply. To prevent the Atlas controller from jamming, you might also consider using a Center Off momentary toggle switch mounted on you control panel (if you have one).

What is the source of power for the switch machine? It is possible that the power supply isn't enough even for momentary power. Essentially, when activating a solenoid, you are creating a short circuit. You might consider either upgrading the power supply, or purchasing a separate AC power supply. To prevent the Atlas controller from jamming, you might also consider using a Center Off momentary toggle switch mounted on you control panel (if you have one).
The power supply accessory terminals output 19V AC. Its plenty enough to power bachmann switches it only overloads with this atlas one. I am also using proper center-off momentary switches.

You might want to see if you can find another Atlas switch machine on ebay. Additional expense, I know, but it might be your only solution.

Back