Atlas Premade layouts?

ok now I looked at #10023....could that really be over $1000 in track...seems a little steep to me...jus sayin'!

I count 18 turnouts. Atlas usually sells that stuff on line at full retail. If they were $26.00 each which is possible that would be $468 right there. Crossovers aren't cheap and it has a bunch of those but no more than $150.00 max. That's expensive flex track.

Atlas Layouts

HO Layout Gallery: #10029/#10029-83
The Central Midland

My son and I did the Central Midland. It's a work in progress. Expensive but we got a deal from a dealer at a train meet. Everything was there and we built the benchwork by the book. Cookie cutter style. We have since expanded the yard and made a few small changes.There's a lot of track stuff in that kit.
Wayne

ok now I looked at #10023....could that really be over $1000 in track...seems a little steep to me...jus sayin'!

Sounds about right to me, if not just a tad over-priced.
Last weekend, I bought all track and accessories listed for layout HO-13 at Charles Ro's retail store. Out the door price for everything in code 83 was $230. Atlas' price online is $278 for same.

That was the first model railroad supply purchase I've made in 25 years, it was a real eye-opener! :eek:

I guess when you break it down into pieces and get 26 switches...umpteen crossovers...all at $20+ a piece, man it adds up fast not to mention all the needed supplies to install and lay the track....then you need scenery, cars, ballast, cork, buildings, glue, paint, nails, brushes, more scenery, more track, new locos, DCC power, a second level added on, ......DOES THE INSANITY EVER STOP LOL ?!?! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Atlas plan books used to provide a list of track items, required to make each layout. You could then order accordingling from your source of choice. The Atlas website sells stuff at the full MSRP.

I'd be every interested in seeing any pictures of the Central Midland, or other Atlas designs. I've used them as the basis of several designs, only using larger curves.

I guess when you break it down into pieces and get 26 switches...umpteen crossovers...all at $20+ a piece, man it adds up fast not to mention all the needed supplies to install and lay the track....then you need scenery, cars, ballast, cork, buildings, glue, paint, nails, brushes, more scenery, more track, new locos, DCC power, a second level added on, ......DOES THE INSANITY EVER STOP LOL ?!?! :eek:

You left out the costs for the divorce.

My layout has:
24 Peco switch tracks + motors + switch throws @ $30 ea
80 ft of flex track and rail bed at about $1.25 / ft

The whole thing can be had at the bargin price of $820! I'm planning a cruise with the money I'll have left over.

...Well, I say it's a cruise. More like a paddle boat ride, really, but a little bubbly stashed away in a carefully conceiled cooler and my significant other will never know the difference.

Back