Atlas Or Proto 2000

NWR #200

Irish Expatriate
I am trying to decide whether I want to purchase an Atlas GP-7, or an PROTO 2000 GP-7. Does anyone have any info about these engines, or which brand you would prefer.

This is a tough one for me. I have really liked the products that Atlas has put out lately. Their last run of GP-7's appears to have been in 2004. At the same time, the P2K models have excellent detail. Their last release appears to be 2002. The P2K's do have a problem with the axle gears cracking. I have 3 of the locomotives and all three required replacement wheelsets after about 1 year of running. All it took was a phone call to get the wheelsets replaced for free. For me it would probably come down to how prototypical do you want and what the price is.

David

I'd say Atlas, but for a true decision, look aty the details offered, I think the Atlas and P2K models varied a bit.

If you're happy with the model out of the box, the Atlas model is probably the way to go. However, if you plan on doing any modifications to the pilots at all, go with the P2K model.

There's also price to consider. I've never paid more than $50 for a P2K Geep. The Atlas will be a good bit more. We plan to get some Atlas (and Stewart) but love our P2K models.

Back