Atlas GP40-2....any insight?

wongsing

My best friend wrote me tonight saying that Atlas has announced their new GP40-2 in HO scale at the Anaheim model train show. Has anyone else heard any such rumors? If so, do any of them involve any cats...?:rolleyes: Perhaps a good Chessie System GP40-2 could be a possiblity...?

-Rich

I'm excited to finally see a GP40-2 from somebody other than Athearn! :cool:

However, I'm confused as to why all the Atlas photos and drawings show models with the smaller-sized fuel tank. All Chessie dash-2 geeps had the larger, full-length tanks. Here's a link to a photo of #4138, after she was renumbered for CSX: http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/GP40-2/6038cs.jpg

I suppose I can always enlarge the fuel tank myself if necessary...

[LATER EDIT:] I stand corrected - the Atlas video introducing the GP40-2 says that both sizes of fuel tanks will be available!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go figure they'd only do the fallen flags first.

Good thing its a Master series unit, hope they didn't fudge the doors like the Trainman GP38-2.

Too tall. They have about 6" too much height (IIRC the doors touch the raised walkway, where they should not quite reach it). I could be wrong on which doors were wrong though. I know though, as I've been told, that of the GP38-2's on the market, the Athearn is the most prototypically (is that even a word?) accurate, after what is it now, 30 years?

The P2K was fudged in many ways too.

Come to think of it, there was a gap in unit offerings from Atlas, wonder if they screwed up the GP38-2 and said, "heck, lets just create a cheaper line of trains", though it seems as if it should have been a Master series loco (see GP38/40 skip ahead to GP40-2...?).

Too tall. They have about 6" too much height (IIRC the doors touch the raised walkway, where they should not quite reach it). I could be wrong on which doors were wrong though. I know though, as I've been told, that of the GP38-2's on the market, the Athearn is the most prototypically (is that even a word?) accurate, after what is it now, 30 years?

The P2K was fudged in many ways too.

Come to think of it, there was a gap in unit offerings from Atlas, wonder if they screwed up the GP38-2 and said, "heck, lets just create a cheaper line of trains", though it seems as if it should have been a Master series loco (see GP38/40 skip ahead to GP40-2...?).

Yep Josh, looks like it's correct!

From Websters:

Main Entry: pro·to·typ·i·cal
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: "prO-t&-'ti-pi-k&l
Variants: also pro·to·typ·ic/-pik/
: of, relating to, or being a prototype
- pro·to·typ·i·cal·ly/-pi-k(&-)le/ adverb

Pronunciation Key
More Information: Audio

Rotor

Back