Atlas DC Sound

santino

Just getting back to my layout after 2 years off. I have a 6by20 ft DC one train operation layout with a MRC tech 4 pak. I want to buy a DC sound equipped loco "Atlas" and I guess I would need a Quantum controller. I have seen MRC ads for a new sound system for DC. Anybody else have 'gold series" DC locos. Sorry for the often asked question but I am just getting back in. Thanx:eek:

Forget the MRC controller. It won't work with the Quantaum sound decoder and it's junk anyway. The Atlas Commander or Walther's verson of it is what you need. Walthers has it on sale now for $50 but it's being discontinued so get one now if you want it. If you don't want to go DCC (which you really should consider), the Quantaum equipped Gold series engine and the outboard sound controller is the next best thing. One thing to be aware of is that a Gold series engine has a very high starting voltage in DC so it's impossible to run another non-Gold engine with it in consist.

I have a 6by20 ft DC one train operation layout with a MRC tech 4 pak. I want to buy a DC sound equipped loco "Atlas" and I guess I would need a Quantum controller. I have seen MRC ads for a new sound system for DC. Anybody else have 'gold series" DC locos.
I normally run DCC, but I do have some QSI decodered locomotives that I run on DC. I do not use a Quantum controller or anything else. I use the manual operations utilizing the power and directional switch. When positive power is on the track and the direction button is switched the horn blows. When negative power is on the track and the direction button is switched the bell rings. It takes a while to get used to the various sequences and throttle combinations to make the things work, but can be done. The hardest for me is remembring to not shut the throttle all the way off when stopping the train.

Thanx for the reply. I guess what I want is to run DC with some loco sounds. I see MRC has something called the Black Box. I also have seen ads for a MRC sound system for DC that is just coming out. I tell you I have read other forums and it seems people are always having trouble with their DCC systems. And that is making me shy away from converting to DCC.:eek:

I tell you I have read other forums and it seems people are always having trouble with their DCC systems. And that is making me shy away from converting to DCC.
SOME people have trouble with everything. Most often they have not read the instruction book. All the trouble I've had with my DCC systems has been self inflicted.

DCC is really the simplest way of running a model railroad ever invented. You only need two things - a locomotive with a decoder and a control station with the two wires hooked up to the tracks. Nothing more. Controllers have buttons that are dedicated to controlling things like the bell, whistle/horn, and headlights. You don't have to remember any weird combinations of commands from a standard DC power pack or spend more money for a sound controller that only works with one type of sound system. A DCC controller will operate any company's sound system. If you're a serious model railroader and want sound with DC, you still have to deal with power blocks, gaps, and control panels to provide or cut off power to different parts of the layout. With DCC, the controller and decoder takes care of all this for you. Believe me, I've had very complicated DC systems with multiple power blocks and many gaps and wires to control if a siding has power, for example, so I can have a train stop in the siding while another one passes. You also need multiple power packs if you want to run more than one train. After using DCC, I'd rather poke both my eyes out with a fork than ever go back to DC again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again thank you all for your replies. I know this will be subject to a persons personal taste but I will ask anyway. If I switch to DCC and only want to run 2 trains at the most which system will suit my needs? Most of my switches are ground throw although I do have one tortise crossover. I also want to "walk around" and follow my trains for switching as well.

Thanx!

P.S if it matters I prefer Atlas or Kato engines.

NCE and Digitrax all make systems with walkaround throttles. Most people are moving to wireless, radio controlled throttles so there's no extra wiring to add. Some thing like the Digitrax DT402D or the NCE ProCab-R would meet your needs just fine if you want to go wireless.

If you want to go DCC, consider the D'trax Zephyr. It's a relatively small initial investment but can be expanded with all the D'trax accessories you might want/need. I use mine and have run 4 locos at the same time (using auxiliary packs as throttles), so you should have plenty of punch for two. You can use your existing power packs as auxiliary throttles...so you don't have to invest in anything to run multiple trains....:rolleyes:

Back