Atlas CSX Grey

IORYGP30M

Does anybody have a idea for a good match for the Atlas CSX grey? I am modeling a CSX SD20-2 #2402 and need a good match for the CSX grey. I ahve tried pollyscale CSX grey and it is to light.

Thanks for the info

IORYGP30M

Prototype paint jobs fade at different rates, I think you'll do OK with the PollyScale. BTW - did you paint a swatch of it and let it dry before you compared it with the Atlas? Acrylic paints tend to appear lighter when they're wet.

You may have to mix your grey between several different shades. I would experiment on a index card. Mix a drop or two of each one, and compare it after it dries. Another thing is to just go ahead and use a straight commercial color and then cover the differences with some weathering. Weathering can hide a multitude of sins.

Problem with a lot of the overseas produced stuff is that they use their own formulas for the paint and in some cases, this is not even close to the real colors on the locomotive.

To add to the whole color issue, Atlas may have the color wrong, they may have had a paint chip, photo that had the wrong lighting etc. Try to match paint on a Rock Island unit, from what I have been told, their red was different from each shop they came out of ;) Well I guess when you only have so much money, you buy or grab what ever color red that K-Mart had on sale....

Back