Athearn's Latest Price Increases: Im out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I started, I bought BB diesels for $16.95. Funny thing was, if I couldn't afford it at the time, if I went back 6 months later - AND it was STILL $16.95!!!!!!

I never thought I'd ever become an old fogey, but God, I miss those days!!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0rsh0z
Carmine, modeling the HO Scale Pacific Belt RR since 1975!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am only 26, but I remember when the top of the line locos went for 50-70! Fast forward to today, now the top of the line locos are 200-300! I realize back when top of the line locos were 50-70, there was no DCC or sound decoders, but the non DCC and sound units are the ones selling for around 200. I could go into other things that have skyrocketed in price, but we will avouid that. It is sad when you feel old at 26.

To answer the Athearn question: Why are the prices going up? Simple there is a new person in charge of counting the beans. Do not be surprised when the RTR engines jump in price too. Remember Athearn got bought out by a bigger company. I agree the quality on the RTR couplers and hand rails just stink. First thing I do when I get an Athearn is the crummy couplers go bye bye and a Kadee gets installed.

Well, their factory that made the RTR engines has closed. I think that it will cost them since they're not putting out anymore products until 2013 while they're still in business. Genesis is unaffected.

Of course, when you have a deficit like that, what do you do? Raise prices of course.

To answer the Athearn question: Why are the prices going up? Simple there is a new person in charge of counting the beans. Do not be surprised when the RTR engines jump in price too. Remember Athearn got bought out by a bigger company. I agree the quality on the RTR couplers and hand rails just suck. First thing I do when I get an Athearn is the crummy couplers go bye bye and a Kadee gets installed.

Oh they already did! The next run of their RTR GP38-2 MSRP is $99.98 ($100). And don't seem to have any additional new features. Nice eh?

Check it out:

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=GP38-2+RTR&CatID=THLD

Price Increases

The Greed From Athearn (Horizon), Atlas etc. is going to kill this hobby. This is what happens when only a handfull of Manufacturer's exist. Remember you had MDC Roundhouse, Athearn Life-Like (Proto 2000, 1000) and a few others. All were aquired by Horizon and Walthers and Atlas has aquired a couple small ones. Just look at the prices Walthers charged for the Proto 2000 line after they purchased Lif-Like. Athearn announced a new run of SD70ACE's at $199.98 Non DCC-Sound and $299.98 with DCC/Sound. Another reason, might be that Wall Street Equity Firms (Hedge Funds ETC) are investing in these Companies because a lot of the finacing has dried up and the Banks do not want to invest like they use to. Anyway it's gotten to the point that anyone entering into this hobby has a huge expense ahead of them.

To answer the Athearn question: Why are the prices going up? Simple there is a new person in charge of counting the beans. Do not be surprised when the RTR engines jump in price too. Remember Athearn got bought out by a bigger company. I agree the quality on the RTR couplers and hand rails just stink. First thing I do when I get an Athearn is the crummy couplers go bye bye and a Kadee gets installed.

Athearn RTRs have gone up. Two years ago, AC4400s for example were $89.98mrsp. Now $149.98. A whopping 66% increase. Detail level has come up and recently some QC issues have improved it seems. There are features on the models I do not like however such as the plastic McHenry couplers, handrails, light bulb lights, and the RTR drive is not that smooth and seems hit or miss.

To me, the improvements do not warrant the steep increase. I know that commodity and the upwardly-mobile Chinese middle class are factors as well, but in the end it's a personal consumer decision. For me, my price point has been exceeded with their products.

Maybe it is helping pay for that fancy new Athearn website.

The Greed From Athearn (Horizon), Atlas etc. is going to kill this hobby. This is what happens when only a handfull of Manufacturer's exist. Remember you had MDC Roundhouse, Athearn Life-Like (Proto 2000, 1000) and a few others. All were aquired by Horizon and Walthers and Atlas has aquired a couple small ones. Just look at the prices Walthers charged for the Proto 2000 line after they purchased Lif-Like. Athearn announced a new run of SD70ACE's at $199.98 Non DCC-Sound and $299.98 with DCC/Sound. Another reason, might be that Wall Street Equity Firms (Hedge Funds ETC) are investing in these Companies because a lot of the finacing has dried up and the Banks do not want to invest like they use to. Anyway it's gotten to the point that anyone entering into this hobby has a huge expense ahead of them.

Bachmann is starting to look pretty good for the younger modelers.

I find the used market to be pretty tolerable. Ebay is a reasonable source still, as are train shows. You just aren't going to get exactly what you want but nice stuff is still out there. If total adherence to prototype is what you are looking for, Athearn doesn't provide it anyways.

I find the used market to be pretty tolerable. Ebay is a reasonable source still, as are train shows. You just aren't going to get exactly what you want but nice stuff is still out there. If total adherence to prototype is what you are looking for, Athearn doesn't provide it anyways.

Huh? I guess you haven't notice the road specific details on the Genesis locomotives?

There is a big difference between that and a $70 dollar unit. I see a lot of these posts talking about kids and they aren't getting that kind of equipment. If you want absolute adherence to detail, it costs money to produce that. I saw a figure not long ago that said it took about $100K to bring a model from drawing to injection mold ready these days. When someone only wants that in a Milwaukee Rd GP3 with everything down to ditch lights, there won't be a lot of customers. A low detail Santa Fe F unit will have a far wider audience and sell forever so it's going to be a lot cheaper. I don't see how you can have it both ways.

At least Athearn is not stripping the details off the cars and still trying to get the big bucks... Some of their stuff is the best they have ever made...
THANX

Don't lump Atlas into this. Atlas actually lowered the prices on some of their N scale offerings because they found savings and decided to pass them on to their customers. Atlas's price increases are quite reasonable, and aren't the same as Athearn or Walthers where they increase the prices dramatically with every run.

For what it's worth plastic is petroleum based and we all know what's been happening with oil.

That is a good point. Here in the US, the majority of our oil is produced domestically or imported from Canada (don't believe the politics behind oil, we (in the US) only import about 10% of our oil from the middle east) China, on the other hand, gets the majority of their oil from the middle east. The volatile prices on oil coming from that region can really add to production costs. The increase in labor costs doesn't help either.

I think that commodity prices have gone through the roof on about everything. In my trade, materials like sodium aluminum hexafluoride has gone from about $390.00 per ton to $10,000.00 per ton. Lead monosilicate has gone from .90lb to $5.00 lb in ton lots. Cerium oxide has gone from $400.00 per 50KG to $2,000.00 per KG. All metals are way up as we've all seen in flex track costs. Energy costs from every source needed to make anything are way up. Profit margins in most markets are down except financial services and electronic bling.

Wages on the other hand are down, unemployment is at 14 million. People have less disposable income than they did 25 years ago. No wonder we all feel that pinch, so you have to kind of wonder who is buying those limited editions, and the answer is "we still are". Even so, money for entertainment is under major stress at every level. I can't buy those high end locos so I stay with what I can do and thats mostly used from second hand sources. I would note that it all works fine though. A simple used DCC engine doesn't have to kill you. This hobby has come miles and miles from the rubber band era. I have a very good time with it but I'm grateful that I bought most of my train stuff back in the '90's when I had the capacity.

Don't lump Atlas into this. <snip>.

Don't look now, but I got this in an email Friday:

Dear Atlas Customers,

On April 1, 2012, for the first time in over ten years, we will be raising our prices appreciably on all in-stock N, HO & O scale parts available on our online store. Because of this, we wanted to give you, our valued customer, one last chance to stock up on them before the price increase takes effect. If there are any parts that you need, pick them up now at the current prices before they go up.

Quantities are limited, so don't delay and get them while you can.

Thank you.

Hold on, here it goes!!:rolleyes: Next thing ya know, brass will be the cheaper option!!:rolleyes:

Don't look now, but I got this in an email Friday:

Dear Atlas Customers,

On April 1, 2012, for the first time in over ten years, we will be raising our prices appreciably on all in-stock N, HO & O scale parts available on our online store. Because of this, we wanted to give you, our valued customer, one last chance to stock up on them before the price increase takes effect. If there are any parts that you need, pick them up now at the current prices before they go up.

Quantities are limited, so don't delay and get them while you can.

Thank you.

Hold on, here it goes!!:rolleyes: Next thing ya know, brass will be the cheaper option!!:rolleyes:

Yes, but Atlas is doing it only because their costs are increasing. Atlas is not out to gouge you. I think the fact that they let us, the customers, know in advance is a very NICE gesture.

For what it's worth plastic is petroleum based and we all know what's been happening with oil.

So much for those who claim all our petroleum usage would go away if we switched to electric cars, etc. People just don't realize that petroleum is used to make plastics, paints, medicines, as well as lubricants without which the wheels in those electric cars would literally grind to a halt! :(

So much for those who claim all our petroleum usage would go away if we switched to electric cars, etc. People just don't realize that petroleum is used to make plastics, paints, medicines, as well as lubricants without which the wheels in those electric cars would literally grind to a halt! :(

Actually they want today's detailed models at 1980 blue box prices.

I don't like the prices either but,there are ways to cut hobby costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back