Athearn U50

Google is your friend! The best price I found so far was $165.99 at wholesaletrains.com, but their ratings from customers aren't great. Prices trend upward from there. Non sound, DCC ready.

As for the model: Same drive as the turbine they did. Only two of the four trucks are powered, so expect single locomotive performance. Nice detail. Looks as good as an Overland U50 I once saw. The locomotive itself is ugly as home made sin though (IMHO).

Most reputable e-tailers, including the new internettrains.com (new owners who are turning themselves inside out to get a good rep), list them pretty consistently as $189 USD. You can wait until they appear in numbers on eBay and see if you can win an auction for less.

If it is a must-have, you had better grab one soon because I don't think Athearn made many of them. Nobody can afford to have inventory collecting dust these days, so their production numbers will be firm orders plus maybe 10%.

I'm hoping to buy one, UP most likely. I check them out at RPM West Coast (*drool*). Way out of my era though.

I just picked up an SP version a few minutes ago. I have not cracked the plastic sleeve open yet, but I checked out a friend's UP version last night.

It has a large Buhler can motor.
It has a pretty good heft. He said his pulled a 25 car train most of the way around the layout (2% ruling grade) The detail level is very nice. I will eventually add sound, but not yet. Those devoted to lighting and DCC may want to make some changes. I have read of one owner and spoken with another who trashed the factory lighting boards and added beacons, LED lighting, etc. Lots of room for added weight if you want to.

It's definitely a case of "era creep" for me as well, but it is an interesting model, and I'll find something for it to do. I have enough other bloddy nose models to keep it company. My LHS had it for $189.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shop that had a good price I saw (have to wait till our finances are better) is Modeltrainstuff.com. Price I saw is $189 range

OK wannabe U-50 owners, here's a short review:

I just finished installing a decoder in my model. Just a DH-123 since I intend to install a Tsunami eventually, so a basic 2 function is good enough for testing.

Nice big brass model quality box, and the usual plastic inner sleeve.

The rear ladders and the bell are in a small parts bag inside the sleeve.

There are four phillips head screws on the bottom between the forward and rear truck pairs. Remove these and the shell comes off. Do it gently, as the detail parts are press fit and you can knock them loose if you get ham handed.

The light package leaves much to be desired. The lights are dim. I will discard the factory light boards when I do the sound install. The factory board is equipped with the customary socket for the 8 pin plug and the 9 pin JST harness with dummy plug. I always pick the 9 pin when using these boards. YMMV. :D I had a dickens of a time getting the shell back on. After a few aborted tries and some cussing, I figured out that the front blower housing had split apart slightly and was fouling one of the metal screens in the shell. The metal screen didn't pop off though it should have. I think the detail assembly quality is getting better. I managed this install as well as the Genesis GP-9 decoder installs without breaking anything!

With the shell back on I attached the bell. This is a metal part going into the metal chassis. ACC is necessary. The rear ladders are press fit items, as are the front ones. You could glue them, but I don't recommend it. I knocked one off twice during handling. The running gear swings wide and can catch on them and pull them off. Look out for this when handling the model.

The motor was a little noisy on DC, and quieted right down once the decoder was installed.

I intend to test it at the club tonight and will follow up with those impressions, pulling power, and maybe a photo or two if I remember the camera :D

There is no minimum radius information on the box or the instruction sheet. I would not try less than a 30" minimum radius with this big honker, but for you adventerous types who insist on forcing the big stuff around 18 and 22" radius curves, you will want to watch the bell and those rear ladders. They might foul the running gear.

The model is equipped with knuckle spring McHenry couplers. I removed these and replaced them with Kadee Whisker Springs. I use the standard head, not the smaller one, as I am an operator first. The 158's smaller knuckles look nice, but on long cars and locos they can be very sensitive to elevation changes, and are not very forgiving of less than perfectly correct coupler heights. In a club environment, less hassle is better!

Nice model for the bucks. I have heard one with the Tsunami installed, and I have to tell you, the U50 begs for sound. If you can't afford a pair, they can be paired with anything bloody nose, or even F's. I've seen lots of prototype photos with cabless DD-35's. GP-35's would work or maybe a tunnel motor.

Enjoy!

well i just won a u-50 for 178 total :D:D:D so now i need to get tusnumi decoders for this & the DD40AXX :D someone stop me :eek: lol

I saw a U50 with a sound decoder installed, and it looked good, but didn't sound quite right. (only one prime mover sorta' missed the point).

Anyway, a good place to check is The Train Shop, (408) 296-1050. I don't remember the price of the U50 but he's selling the Genesis GP9 for $199.95 (vs. $280.00 in most shops). They usually have good inventory, and they test run every engine that goes out the door.

I'd suggest you hold off on the Tsunamis. Word is that Soundtraxx is going to release a Dual prime mover decoder for the U-50. They'll likely do something similar for the DD-40.

I'm waiting for the right decoder. until then, she's a stealth loco:D

U50 - made a deal

Finally picked one up - $158.50Ebay + $6 delivery to Blaine,Wa. + $3 handling + $9.70 dollar conversion + pass on 12% taxes.
Just had to wait for the right deal. A friend picked it up and wasn't reuired to pay the 12%.

Total Canadian delivered 177.20 so not bad.

I will be $142 under the LHS price of $285 + 12% so thats money I can spend there. Have to see abou one oof the new decoders.

Espeefan - Alan - using Google I missed the wholesaletrains $165.99 price but when you listed it, it served as a good target to use for a vendor I would rather deal with.

BlackZ28 - as we both found, none sold for $122 price you found on Ebay.

Artieiii - Art - "I wish the model had 2 motors and all wheel drive like my Lionel HO veranda"
I have a pair and thought the Lionel had only 8 wheel drive ???????????????????

thanks for all the comments ,,, ken

Finally picked one up - $158.50Ebay + $6 delivery to Blaine,Wa. + $3 handling + dollar conversion + possible 12% taxes.
Just had to wait for the right deal. Now to wait on a cross border trip to pick it up - a gas fillup will pay for the trip.

I will be at least $100 under the LHS price of $285 + 12% so thats money I can spend there.

Espeefan - Alan - using Google I missed the wholesaletrains $165.99 price but when you listed it, it served as a good target to use for a vendor I would rather deal with.

BlackZ28 - as we both found, none sold for $122 price you found on Ebay.

Artieiii - Art - "I wish the model had 2 motors and all wheel drive like my Lionel HO veranda"
I have a pair and thought the Lionel had only 8 wheel drive ???????????????????

thanks for all the comments ,,, ken
I stand corrected, I thought it had all wheel drive. Was cleaning it's wheels this weekend and noticed my error. It does however have dual motors and the QSI sound controller can play either diesel (switching/low speed) or Turbine (mainline speed) modes.
-Art

I stand corrected, I thought it had all wheel drive. Was cleaning it's wheels this weekend and noticed my error. It does however have dual motors and the QSI sound controller can play either diesel (switching/low speed) or Turbine (mainline speed) modes.
-Art

I don't know that they ever switched with a turbine ;). They used the diesel for starting the turbine, and for hostling (moving it around the engine facility. In some areas, cheyenne Wyoming for example, they had to shut down the turbine when they got in to town due to the noise level.

switch with a turbine lol :rolleyes: :p so now they need to coMe out with the
ALCO Century 855 :D:D

Ok, sorry I said "switching". What I meant was slow speed=diesel sounds high speed=turbine sounds Jeesh
When I typed my response I called it "switching" because it clearly runs on a slower speed table when in Diesel mode like a switcher.
-Art

Back