Athearn rubber band driven motors

Hoco52

Where can I find a couple of engine chassis for the vintage 1960's diesel locomotives with working motors. I have 4 at home, but I can get only 1 motor to work.

You can probably fix those old Athearns. Check out Youtube before you throw in the towel. A little cleaning and soldiering. Don't put any lube on unless you know what NOT to oil. I still have my old Blue Box Athearns I bought in the 1970s running. Some of them I bought used then. I think the rubber band series is 1950s. They can be tricky. Haven't owned the band drive type but I'd love to have one to tinker with. SMT Mainline is a YouTube guy who fixes them. Great videos. Athearns are the Small block Chevys of model trains.

I remember my old BB Athearn Canadian National F3 with a rubber band drive. She was a fast locomotive on my plywood, flat layout. Track laid directly on the painted plywood.

Greg

I remember my old BB Athearn Canadian National F3 with a rubber band drive. She was a fast locomotive on my plywood, flat layout. Track laid directly on the painted plywood.

Greg
That's part of the cool factor. When I was 8 years old everybody I knew had a loop of track on a 4x8. Having a fast model train in the 3rd grade was like having a fast car in high school. The really cool guys had the turnouts and operating accessories. Saturday the Local Hobby Shop was packed. Good times.

Back