Athearn RTR Locos

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Hi All, has anyone purchased one of the new Athearn RTR locos? What I'm trying to find out is if they are any different than the Blue Box kits with all parts already mounted. I guess my main concern is the wiring and the power train, which in the Blue Box loco Kits is kind of a sloppy mechanical fits and electrical connections.

Cheers Willis

The latest ones I've bought are the ones that have the DCC plug wired in. As such, I didn't dig too much farther in to the actual powertrain mechanism.

These were the GP60s, I plugged in a decoder and did a couple of test runs. Have not had them running operationally for any length of time.

Kennedy

I have a CPR AC4400 in the "golden beaver" paint scheme. The RTR has much nicer paint (grilles painted black etc) and detail parts (like plastic handrails) than the blue box version. I have no idea how it runs though, I'm not sure I've even had it out of the box yet, since I have no layout yet.

At the risk of sounding like a dirty old man
Cajun5.png
, I'd like to see what's under the covers :D

Haven't gotten a blue box lately, but one of the guys at the club got a ready to run CF7. The paint and handrails were better than the older blueboxes, it even had scale knuckle couplers on it. But it did have the blue box running gear underneath. I'm not sure if it had a decoder plug or not.

But it did have the blue box running gear underneath.
Thank's, you didn't happen to notice if it had the shell chatter (noise), I know I put in a lot of time silencing mine. They are darn good locos, but if I had to do the same work on a RTR as on the Blue Box, for the difference in cost I feel I might as well go for a PKx000, new Bachmann or Atlas for a few more $$.
Cheers Willis

Heh. Yep. The RTR's are just upgunned blueboxes. More details and better paint but same running gear and characteristics.

If you can't afford anything else, they're fine, and look better than ever. But if you can swing it, save for the Atlas/Stewart/Kato engines. You will never regret owning one of them.

I don't know for the extra $20 or so it would cost might just as well switch. As far as the details go, the body and all would end up in the spare parts bin with the rest in my case.
Cheers Willis

CB&CNSfan said:
I don't know for the extra $20 or so it would cost might just as well switch. As far as the details go, the body and all would end up in the spare parts bin with the rest in my case.
Cheers Willis

Well, if youa re kitbashing, true. My personal philosophy of late has been better to have two super-great engines that last forever, than eight that run like Athearns. I want to like the Athearns. But the Atlas models are just so slick I know they're worth the investment.

Does the RTR engines have better lighting. I have been running Athearn Genesis and Kato engines over my detailed Blue Box engines because of the sorry lighting. I have found a way to install better lighting but it takes $$$. I am just wondering if the RTR engines have decent lighting. Thanks :)

Hey gang: I have one of the Atheran RTR SD50s. It has directional lighting, nice hand rails, and other details. It runs quite and pulls real well. So far its been a fine runner. I haven't looked under the hood yet :) but it's suppose to have a DCC plug on it. I don't use DCC but hope to some day. I had read on another some wheres that you have to pull the motor out and insulate it from the frame or your decoder will fry. Don't know if the newer RTR still have this problem or not.
Mark

than eight that run like Athearns
AH! but with a little work the Athearns don't run like Athearns. I have 10 (so far) Athearn powered, smooth and very quiet running locos, I would imagine it would be very hard to beat them creeping from tie to tie. But first you have to get rid of the rubber motor mounts.
Cheers Willis

CB&CNSfan said:
AH! but with a little work the Athearns don't run like Athearns. I have 10 (so far) Athearn powered, smooth and very quiet running locos, I would imagine it would be very hard to beat them creeping from tie to tie. But first you have to get rid of the rubber motor mounts.
Cheers Willis

Heh.

I'm surprised no one has noticed my avatar is all-Athearn -- one's even one of the dreaded "wide body" SD9's. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised no one has noticed my avatar is all-Athearn -- one's even one of the dreaded "wide body" SD9's. :D
LOL guess we all have our little secrets eh! Yep I have one of them too, undec still in the box. Was going to have a fleet of them in CB&CNS livery, untill I learned to bash a 630 together. Don't think they ever had an SD9 in Canada let alone on the East coast. It may get to be an eBay item or power for something else.

My personal philosophy of late has been better to have two super-great engines that last forever,
LOL this time next year I'll be 70, don't think I need them to last that long. :D

Cheers Willis

Back