Athearn RTR 4 axle trucks, which mount?

NYSW F45

Ok im hoping some of you guys can help me out. I need to know what kind of mounting surface is on the athearn RTR 4 axle trucks used on the GP's? Im slowly, very slowly working on a custom project that uses a SD40 frame with milled fuel tank. The frame accepts the sd40-2 trucks that have that circular portion and flat metal over the gears. Do any of the GP bloomberg trucks use this? Can anyone post pics?

I've tried something similar and the geometry is different enough that it will be less work to simply cut a Geep frame in half and epoxy a plug in to lengthen it.

Trucks

Not in the Athearn line ! All the 4 axle loco frames, except the switchers, use the pin system to sit on the trucks ! A saw and epoxy are most likely the answer . Good Luck !

JOE

Or have new bolsters made for the SD frame. I was thinking it can be done like the C415 I did a while ago but with a metal frame the bolsters can get screwed in vs epoxy.

C415-Bolsters-1-XL.jpg

C415-Bolsters-16-XL.jpg

when you say pin? the pin is it on the frame or trucks? The frame i have has a hole in the center for a pin to go into.

Mark if have new bolsters are the way it will go, then you will be getting a frame someday. Not anytime soon though. lol I will probably be piecing this project together for the next 8 months or more with the baby due in 2 weeks.

Oh and if the bolsters are getting done, the fuel tank can be milled to shorten it to the appropriate size and then i'll just take care of the plastic piece. I just gotta get the fuel tank length off the prototype. Its 2500 gallon tank but nobody knows the length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, looks like you'll someday be getting this frame for modification.

Now since athearn RTR/Genesis GP40 trucks wont just mount up. Which GP trucks should I go with? Athearn, Kato, Atlas?

Also, does anyone know what length a emd 2500 gallon fuel tank is?

Yes it is. If custom bolters are made im sure any truck will fit. But is there one thats better then the other interms of reliability/performace? And what is the difference between bloomberg B and M trucks?

those are Bomberg B bogies. The M bogies only have on brake cylinder per side, a shock-absorber/equalizer occupying the other end. As to which brand of bogies, it doesn't terribly matter, most of a locomotive's performance is in the motor. just make sure the gears are free of flash and lightly oiled.

What exactly are you planning? You wanted to put two axle bogies on a SD40 frame?

The model is a kitbash and a half. From talking to other NJT modelers and employee's with knowledge on the GP40PH-2B's length a athearn rtr sd40 frame was a near perfect stand in without having to cut up and join other frame pieces together.

The frame I got will most likely require some milling and customizing, but i'll worry about that later. This isn't a priority right now with a kid on the way. Slowly but surely it will get built up.

I'd never heard of that one before. Esoteric...I want to build one too now. :D

Well, it seems that the long hood looks like a SD45 with the radiator fans moved forward and one of the DB fans moved to the back. Thinking of starting with a Kato or Athearn SD45 shell?

I'd never heard of that one before. Esoteric...I want to build one too now. :D

Well, it seems that the long hood looks like a SD45 with the radiator fans moved forward and one of the DB fans moved to the back. Thinking of starting with a Kato or Athearn SD45 shell?

Well the Jersey Central GP40's were GP40P's that were longer then standard GP40's to accomodate a steam generator. When those were rebuilt they added a new section of hood that makes it look like a SD45. The radiator fans weren't moved at all, the 4th fan is for the HEP which is in the newer hood section.

So yes im going to use an athearn SD45, which I have and is getting stripped tonight. I'll be picking up a GP40X shell eventually and a tunnel motor rtr shell for the rear walkway/steps/pilot.

well there is some talk on the atlas rescue forums that SW1500 trucks might work. Is there anyone who can confirm this and maybe post a pic? Jerome?

Back