Athearn/MDC Goodies!

KenKzak

Displaced D&H fan
Athearn has proven even my least fears unjustified concerning the Nscale MDC Roundhouse product lines since MDC was bought out.

I've gotten to fondle some of the new release Overton passenger cars and 36' reefers, and own a pair of new release 36' boxcars. I ordered the boxcars through my LHS and they arrived sooner than expected, ie. on schedule! Athearn has released a line standard paint schemes for several Class 1 type railroads in 2 road numbers each. I ordered the pair for Delaware & Hudson of course.

The painting and printing is great, the cars are well assembled, they are 27 grams which is actually a bit on the heavy side. All the new oldtimers come with Accu-Mate Archbar trucks that are attached with a screw.
The Overtons are well printed with ambitious paint schemes to match the recently released gaudy Consolodations. Paint trim around the window openings, including the end windows and the clerestory. Also color on the end steps and landings where appropriate. Athearn has also added green tinted glazing to the clerestory openings. I wonder if I can obtain and install them in my older Roundhouse Overtons?

Overall, I say Bravo!!

Ken

Athearn has proven even my least fears unjustified concerning the Nscale MDC Roundhouse product lines since MDC was bought out.

Hi Ken, nice to see another Athearn lover on line, doesn't seem to be too many of us around :D Thanks for your report on these models, because like yourself and others one wonders what a change of ownership will bring with it. I don't have a hobbyshop close by, so the only way I'd be able to see one would be to buy it mail order.

green tinted glazing to the clerestory openings. I wonder if I can obtain and install them in my older Roundhouse Overtons?
Well you have me on that one perhaps some knowledgeable member will know.
Cheers Willis

Athearn Lover sounds a little big on me. But I'm definitely on their side of the fence now. <g>

Athearn's other Nscale releases were OK by me, but I had heard rumors that the oldtime products wouldn't be coming back. I figured it was a foolish rumor since the 2-8-0 was already on it's way back and needing something to appropriate to pull.

2 minor downsides.
Price, and the fact that the cars all seem to be glued together.
The boxcars and reefers are retailing for $13.95 which is kinda steep. Under Roundhouse, one might pay up to $10 a car, but still need to convert to Micro-trains for up to another $5. Not really out of line, but still sticker shock.
Actually, to my memory, the MSRP on the Overtons hasn't gone up to speak of. You get a lot more for your money now.

Since the boxcars are heavy enough, I don't need to disassemble them. That I couldn't take the roof off the Overtons prevented me from inspecting the clerestory glazing.

The packages do come with an illustrated parts diagram. Next time I go back to the shop....

Ken

I did go to the LHS and check the Overton parts diagram recently. The clerestory glazing wasn't shown or listed. Apparently a late addition.

Ken

Search for it periodically on the Horizon website. That's how I found, and later purchased, the various Athearn plastic handrails I've installed on my older Athearn blue-box locomotives.

Athearn lover here for sure,

I keep hearing they don't make Athearn spare parts anymore, but its STILL on their website...

They still make pretty much everything, but just not at once.

Dan, I wish I knew you wanted some GP30s. I threw out a couple of the old Athearn fatboys last year...

Back