Athearn HO GP40X

Well, I finally got my first NS loco so I can start working on getting the NS side of the layout started. It's NS GP40X 7001. I will say this to anyone who is looking at getting one for their layout. This is by far, the best Athearn RTR loco I have gotten by any means. Great details, Good chassis, and smooth running. Fairly good drive. I give it a 9/10 in rating. This is got to be one of their best locos they have ever made for their RTR series. I have been running her almost every day for at least 10 or 15 minutes, and it is great. (now all I need to get are some more cars)...well I guess another trip to the hobby shop is in store(wait....I'm going in a little while!). Great engine.

Anyone else got any thoughts or recommendations about this GP40X?

Nathan

I have one, but haven't done anything more than test run it so far. It needs a decoder, mainly. It's in the pile of 'locos to modify'....

I think mine's a Southern Hi-nose.

Kennedy

Gp40x

I have two of the Athearn GP40X units on order at Branchline Hobbies in Longview Tx.
I would imagine they will be prototype correct as for details.
The ones on order are for Espee. The two changes will be to change out the rubber handrails with Athearn GP40-2 wire ones and couplers to Kadee.
Espee only had four of the locomotives two as Locotrol masters and two as remotes.

I got the GP40X Southern high hood #7000, and it didnt run when I got it, new. The forward driveline was loose in the shell, put it back together and it ran for about a month and then the motor controller board went out and took the decoder and motor with it. So I put it in the scrap pile for awhile and then I traded it to a friend of mine for some cars. He's trying to ressurect the unit, good luck.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input guys, Mine has run great so far. No problems to this point. Mr. SP, who makes the handrails that you are switching to?

I have two of the Athearn GP40X units on order at Branchline Hobbies in Longview Tx.
I would imagine they will be prototype correct as for details.
The ones on order are for Espee. The two changes will be to change out the rubber handrails with Athearn GP40-2 wire ones and couplers to Kadee.
Espee only had four of the locomotives two as Locotrol masters and two as remotes.

You may find that you like the Athearn handrails as-is, but if you can't live with them, try Smokey Valley handrails. Not as easy to put together as the Athearn wire variety, but they're brass and they're very durable.

Trying to fit the GP40-2 handrails to the GP40X could be a little more than you bargained for. The GP40X is longer than the GP40-2 and it has a raised duct along the Engineer's side, so the handrail will need to be a mirror image of the Fireman's/Conductor's side. If this sounds doable to you, try getting two of the Athearn GP40-2 sets (to give you enough of the tall stanchions) and using some steel music wire to form your own handrails.

I've got three GP40X's, two in CP (not accurate to the prototype) and an undec high hood for my own railway. They run well and look great. I also like the built in resistors on the circuitboard, makes adding DCC easy!
I plan to modify the two CP units to make them more accurate. CP never owned GP40X's, but got some rebuilt to GP38-2 specs. So I have to remove a radiator fan and add a GP38-2 style filter box.

Back