Athearn GP7 Blue Box chassis question.

Dukea01

I built this GP about 25 years ago. It is unpowered. It was a high nose. I cut down the nose, made the front wall and did some detailing. It is a model of an actual WM GP that had a red reflective nose marking for a short time. I would like to power this engine up. I'm looking for any information about a suitable chassis / motor that the body will fit on. I know I can use a powered GP7 or GP9 Athearn chassis, but I am also looking for a new chassis. Maybe a Proto Power West? Are there any additional suppliers that may have a powered chassis for this? Can I use a new motor and drive system on the original chassis? Will any other Athearn chassis fit this model? I am new to the forum and this is my first post, so bear with me. Thank for any suggestions or recommendations.
WM GP.jpg

DC or DCC?
Why not put an Athearn powered chassis under it?
I have been thinking that too. I found some "modern" motors for Athearn engines and I just found some geared trucks on Ebay. I don't know if Athearn used the same trucks on other engines, or if I have to find GP trucks. I'm thinking that Athearn may have a parts catalogue that I can research. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

This is a WAG, but with the low front hood, an original might not have room for the front gear tower. Or at least, the weight would have to be cut down to fit.
Good thought. I think Athearn only made high nose models of the GP's. Maybe that is the reason. Thanks for the thought! I will do some research on that.

OK, How about this (or these)? A proto 2000 WM GP9 loco which will have both a heavier chassis and motor
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334169520120?hash=item4dce0e37f8:g:56YAAOSw72JhTfpF
plus a new Lines West Cab/low nose kit and make a new kit bash?
Thanks for the suggestion. I saw the "chop nose" kit on Ebay while I was looking for a powered chassis. That is another idea!

Back