Athearn GP38-2 and GP40X Reviews Needed

Haven't posted in a while, and I looking to change that, but I need some help.

I'm looking for reviews on Athearn's GP38-2 and GP40X as I'm looking to buy one of each soon in CP colors. How noisy are they? Do they pull well? Stuff like that. Thanks :D

I have a newer, RTR GP38-2, I'll review it tomorrow (I'd do it now, but I've put little run time on it).

I've got an RTR GP-38-2 also. Just as short summary, paint is really good, detail is tolerable for the price, and it's quiet and a good puller. The only complaint is that mine still has the crew frying headlight. Is that the case with yours also, Josh? I need to get the soldering iron out and correct that.

I don't have any newer athearn GP38-2's, but the blue box ones were typical athearn. Okay detail, a little noisy, reliable runners. The new RTR ones look very nice, but I can't comment on the running characteristics. Atlas Trainman makes a great GP38-2 for about the same price. It runs great, and the detail is a little nicer than the athearn.

The Athearn GP40X is a very nice engine. The detail is great and mine run very well. A friend of mine also has a pair of them, but he re-engined them as he doesn't like Athearn motors. I would recommend this model for sure.

Something else to keep in mind, none of these models are accurate to CP prototypes.

Something else to keep in mind, none of these models are accurate to CP prototypes.

Ya I know. But at least the headlights are in the right place. Additional details could also be added to make it more prototypical. But we'll see what happens. :)
One thing I know I'm adding is ditch lights. I've never understood why Athearn ( especially on their newer models ) hasn't just put ditch lights. The worst is when they put fake ones that don't actually work. :mad:

BTW, thanks for the reviews guys, its convinced me even more ( is that possible? :p ) to buy them. ;)

Back